2003 Buick Lesabre Misfire and Engine Light
I have a 2003 Buick Lesabre 3.8L, I am getting a code P0300 and P0302 code from Autozone. I have changed out the spark plugs and wires and the 3 coil packs. The car is running a little rough but not dying. It is still getting the same codes? Someone suggested checking the #2 injector, so i did it with a screw driver while running, and i can hear it ticking. Any suggestions??
I couldn’t tell you if it’s getting the same code since I’m not there with a scanner, but if it still misfiring I would assume you still have the same problem on cylinder number 2. Since the plugs, wires, and coils have been replaced, it really only leaves an injector problem or a mechanical engine issue.
Sorry, It was rescanned at Autozone and had the same P0302 code. I guess i could just replace the one injector, as its only a $100 bucks. What do you mean by mechanical engine issue? As in “put it in the shop”?
I would not recommend replacing the injector unless you know for sure it’s bad. That is just wasting money that could be better spent in truly diagnosing the car. As for the mechanical engine problems, I mean like a lack of compression on that particular cylinder, a burned valve, etc.
I am barely a parts changer at best. Checking compression, burnt valves…wow. I don’t know that i have ever seen a valve before. How can I check for vacuum leaks?
You can check for vacuum leaks with a vacuum gauge and watch for fluctuations, or you can also spray around the intake area with some brake clean and listen for RPM changes. But be VERY careful, it ss highly flammable. Stay away from ignition components.
I am normally a put it in the shop kind of guy, but due to wife’s unemployment over the last year I have began down the fix it yourself road. In the last 6 months i have changed the alternator, tensioner pulley, serpentine belt, 2 rear air shocks, upper & lower manifold gaskets, thermostat, radiator, plugs, wires, and coil packs. 2 weeks ago it was running in top shape, now this??
Yeah things seem to happen like that.
I don’t know how to use the vacuum gauge, nor do i have one. I will try and spray the brake cleaner around the intake(throttle body)?
Mainly around the intake ports, concentrating around the cylinders that have problems. And that is just a check. If you find a problem, more diagnosis will be needed. If you don’t find a vacuum leak, you’ll have to keep trying to diagnose whether it’s an injector or engine problem.
By intake ports, you mean the upper air plenum?
This may sound really stupid, but I just changed the gasket around the upper air plenum. Since i torqued it to the required amount, then how will brake cleaner be able to get into the intakes?
It shouldn’t be able to, that’s the point of checking. If it can, then you have a problem.
I had to go and buy my first torque wrench just for it. Ok i got you. Well it sound like i can do some more trouble shooting with the tips that you gave me. Thank you for all of your help.
No problem at all, good luck!
More Car Repair Questions:
- 1998 Lincoln Towncar Trac and ABS Lights On Yes, I have a problem on my 1998 Lincoln Towncar which has the TRAC light and ABS light on and sometimes the air bags won't go up and I found an abs light cable ripped and we taped...
- 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Power Steering Going Bad After Recall I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt and the electric power steering is going out again. I had it replaced a couple of years ago but now it's now working again. It seems very odd to me that ...
- 2000 Chevy Impala Transmission Problems 2000 Chevy impala 143,000 miles. I had a new transmission put in 13 months ago. Lately I noticed the slipping again and swooshing noises like liquid moving. Happens more when engin...
- Chevy Impala Engine Overheating- Common Causes And Repair I had this job about a week ago and thought it would make a good article. I've done many head gaskets over the years, and it becomes kind of a no brainer for me, but this is a comm...
- 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Catalytic Converter I/M Flag Not Ready 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix with a "2" motor will not go "Ready" with the catalytic converter test for I/M testing. I went in the service manual and did the testing for P0420 where you...
- 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Starts And Stalls I have a 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo with 3.4 Liter engine. I have had all kinds of starting issues.....First it would only start on the 2nd try for quite a while. I replaced the fu...