I have a 2003 Buick Lesabre 3.8L, I am getting a code P0300 and P0302 code from Autozone. I have changed out the spark plugs and wires and the 3 coil packs. The car is running a little rough but not dying. It is still getting the same codes? Someone suggested checking the #2 injector, so i did it with a screw driver while running, and i can hear it ticking. Any suggestions??
I couldn’t tell you if it’s getting the same code since I’m not there with a scanner, but if it still misfiring I would assume you still have the same problem on cylinder number 2. Since the plugs, wires, and coils have been replaced, it really only leaves an injector problem or a mechanical engine issue.
Sorry, It was rescanned at Autozone and had the same P0302 code. I guess i could just replace the one injector, as its only a $100 bucks. What do you mean by mechanical engine issue? As in “put it in the shop”?
I would not recommend replacing the injector unless you know for sure it’s bad. That is just wasting money that could be better spent in truly diagnosing the car. As for the mechanical engine problems, I mean like a lack of compression on that particular cylinder, a burned valve, etc.
I am barely a parts changer at best. Checking compression, burnt valves…wow. I don’t know that i have ever seen a valve before. How can I check for vacuum leaks?
You can check for vacuum leaks with a vacuum gauge and watch for fluctuations, or you can also spray around the intake area with some brake clean and listen for RPM changes. But be VERY careful, it ss highly flammable. Stay away from ignition components.
I am normally a put it in the shop kind of guy, but due to wife’s unemployment over the last year I have began down the fix it yourself road. In the last 6 months i have changed the alternator, tensioner pulley, serpentine belt, 2 rear air shocks, upper & lower manifold gaskets, thermostat, radiator, plugs, wires, and coil packs. 2 weeks ago it was running in top shape, now this??
Yeah things seem to happen like that.
I don’t know how to use the vacuum gauge, nor do i have one. I will try and spray the brake cleaner around the intake(throttle body)?
Mainly around the intake ports, concentrating around the cylinders that have problems. And that is just a check. If you find a problem, more diagnosis will be needed. If you don’t find a vacuum leak, you’ll have to keep trying to diagnose whether it’s an injector or engine problem.
By intake ports, you mean the upper air plenum?
This may sound really stupid, but I just changed the gasket around the upper air plenum. Since i torqued it to the required amount, then how will brake cleaner be able to get into the intakes?
It shouldn’t be able to, that’s the point of checking. If it can, then you have a problem.
I had to go and buy my first torque wrench just for it. Ok i got you. Well it sound like i can do some more trouble shooting with the tips that you gave me. Thank you for all of your help.
No problem at all, good luck!
More Car Repair Questions:
- 2004 Toyota Tundra Loosing Battery Power and Gauges Yes, hi I was driving and radio went off, dashboard dimmed, gauges all fell, speedometer when up and down then stopped at 0, lights dimmed, truck kept almost stopping. turned off l...
- Ponitac Grand Am Theft Warning Light And Won't Start My 1996 Pontiac theft system light is on. i start car then it turns off with the theft light on. The I restart the car the light goes off and everything is fine but i don't want to...
- Chevrolet Volt Review From a Dealer Mechanic So, a day or two ago we got our first Chevrolet Volt electric car at the dealership. With it, came much attention from everyone at the dealership, as well as some enthusiastic cust...
- Cadillac ELR, Nissan Resonance and Ford Atlas win Eyes on Design awards Filed under: Detroit Auto Show, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Ford, Nissan, Design/Style This year's annual Eyes on Design awards were presented at the end of press days for the Detroit Auto Show on Tuesday. Given out for the best production and concept car de...
- Mitsubishi Pajero Junior ABS, 4x4 Lights And Car Stalls My Mitsubishi Pajero Junior has the Abs light on and 4x4 is flashing what could be the cause? Most likely a bad wheel speed sensor. When this happens ABS is disabled and also th...
- 2002 Oldsmobile Alero Marker Lamps Stay On I need help with LED bulbs on my 2002 Oldsmobile Alero. ProTech: Yes, go ahead. What make and model vehicle do you have? Was this from some sort of conversion kit with instruct...