I have a 1999 Buick Park Avenue that stalls while decelerating and the gauges go crazy also sitting in park stalls and when turning corners.
Seems like you might have a wiring problem that is acting up when the engine/drivetrain moves. An engine harness could be rubbing somewhere and making contact on decel or turns. Can you tell me if the check engine light comes on at all?
No the check engine light has not come at all. The only thing I’ve done so far is replace the fuel filter, checked the fuses and the spark plugs. My voltage seems a bit high also starting out its at 13.8 when this occurs it drops to 11.7
You might want to try tugging on all the harnesses while the engine is running to see if you can get it to act up. Also, check battery connections, ground wires, etc.
I’ll do that now.
With the voltage dropping when it acts up tells me that you’re losing a feed somewhere. You could even have a faulty computer. You can try banging on the computer lightly with your hand as well to see if it acts up then too.
The computer is behind the glove box right?
No. The computer is located inside the airbox assembly.
With what ive told you you don’t think it could be the EGR valve or idle air control valve or a mass air flow sensor?
From what you describe, the losing power, gauges going crazy, I doubt it is any of those things you mention. The most probable cause of a stalling issue is usually the mass airflow sensor. While that may be a contributing factor, if it is bad, it isn’t going to cause the voltage on the alternator to go low, or make the dash gauges fluctuate.
But wouldn’t the voltage go low if the car is trying to stall out on its own? Just tried hooking an OBD 2 into the data link and it does not work fuse is good.
Yes a bit, but without actually see a voltmeter reading while it’s actually happening, I can’t give you a definitive answer. Also, you might want to consider that if one of those sensors is going bad, it will definitely set a trouble code. You say the check engine light doesn’t come on or stay on, so I’d really concentrate on a wiring issue, or computer problem.
Thanks for the help!!!! a tip is in order for you good sir! I’ll have the computer checked and wiring harnesses then i will get back to you. Tip sent!!! Have a great night!!!
Thank you very much and good luck with the repairs.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Chevy Malibu Temperature Gauge And Code P0171 Lean Problems I have recently received a 2001 chevy malibu as a gift from my parents and randomly now the temperature gauge will shoot all the way up to the ”danger” zone and then when i pull th...
- 1997 Pontiac Sunfire Ignition Switch Recall The wire running from positive post of battery to solenoid burned up tonight causing lights, engine, etc to just shut down while I was driving leaving a hot electrical smell on my ...
- My Gas Gauge Reads Empty When It Is Full Of Fuel One thing I see and hear quite a bit of from customers is that they complain that their fuel gauge is inaccurate or acts very erratically. I've been dealing with these type of prob...
- 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Check Engine Light I recently replaced my EGR valve because the check engine light code came up on my car, along with that I also had to replace my catalytic convertor, from what the mechanic I went ...
- 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Has A Very High Idle 2002 Chevy Malibu w/3.4L idles @3,000 rpm. The TPS, PCV, fuel filter, fuel pump assembly, and charcoal canister was replaced after vacuum hoses were repaired. What else could cause...
- 1999 Pontiac Montana Check Engine Light Blinking I have a 1999 Pontiac Montana code p0306 misfire detected. Check engine light blinking. Changed spark plugs, wires, ignition coil and put in new fuel filter. We checked compressio...