2000 Chevy Camaro Engine Runs Rough
Hi, 2000 Chevy Camaro v6 3.8 motor. Used to stall when driving, replaced plugs wires, and a coil pack and runs good, but seems to stall out on turns, but not all of the time, code p0300 comes on and goes off. Not sure what it is, and also starts hard at times.
Have you checked fuel pressure?
Yes, its about 48 at start up and changed the fuel filter.
Ok, that is in the ballpark….what about the fuel pressure regulator? It could possibly have a leak, you can check it by removing the vacuum line to it and looking for fuel or the smell of gas.
That was the next thing i was going to check tomorrow, if its not that, any other causes? Where is that on this motor.
Well, if it happens mainly on turns, I’d really think it fuel related, unless you possibly have an ignition wire or electrical harness rubbing somewhere causing your misfires/stalling on turns when the engine or drivetrain moves. The fuel pressure regulator is located at the back of the fuel rail, on the drivers side. It’s pretty easily accessible.
If thats the case, i took off that hose, and gas was spitting out of it while running.
Then the diaphragm has ruptured and you would need to replace the regulator. Nothing should be coming out of it. I wouldn’t do it while the vehicle is running…get the car hot, turn it off, then remove the vacuum line to check for leaks. You don’t want to start a fire if it’s a bad leak and you have the engine running!
Correct, if it’s good, nothing should come out…but even if there is nothing, at least put your nose to the vacuum line…even the hint of gas smell, I would replace the regulator.
I will do that as it had gas coming out of the unit, not sure if was the hose.
Yes, gas would come out of the regulator if it is bad.
Great, thanks very much for your help.
No problem, glad to help! Have a nice evening.
More Car Repair Questions:
- My Pontiac Has Intake Gaskets Leaking- Is It Safe To Drive? I took my 2001 Grand Prix 3800 V6 engine (130,000 miles) into the dealer for a bit overdue oil change. After doing the courtesy inspection, a mechanic familiar with my car fills ou...
- 2004 Chevy Venture Accelerates On It's Own I have a 2004 Chevy venture van with a 3.4 that accelerates when it wants to. It happens when cold or hot, just starting or going down the road. I have changed the TPS and IAC and ...
- coil over sleeves- do i need after market struts?? Question: i have a 94 Honda civic ex with a 1.5 sohc vtec motor. The thing is that i decided to buy coil over sleeves to be able to adjust my car height and the reason i bought ...
- Car Repair Problems For Mechanics Car repairs can be tough on a mechanic. Auto repair on cars and trucks for a living can take it's toll on you. After years of sevicing all makes and models, my head is full of info...
- 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Overheats and Blown Engine Hello. Wow it's free? Most of these charge money. Yes we are. Well just a few questions...car is a 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass 3.1L 3100. I have a pro GM mechanic of 20 years wor...
- 2005 GMC Envoy Check Engine Light Code P0410 Hi , i have a 2005 GMC Envoy with the code P0410 Straight six Cylinder with a check engine light. Mechanic_JK First be sure to check all the fuses. If OK, a common problem is a...