2000 Chevy Camaro Engine Runs Rough
Hi, 2000 Chevy Camaro v6 3.8 motor. Used to stall when driving, replaced plugs wires, and a coil pack and runs good, but seems to stall out on turns, but not all of the time, code p0300 comes on and goes off. Not sure what it is, and also starts hard at times.
Have you checked fuel pressure?
Yes, its about 48 at start up and changed the fuel filter.
Ok, that is in the ballpark….what about the fuel pressure regulator? It could possibly have a leak, you can check it by removing the vacuum line to it and looking for fuel or the smell of gas.
That was the next thing i was going to check tomorrow, if its not that, any other causes? Where is that on this motor.
Well, if it happens mainly on turns, I’d really think it fuel related, unless you possibly have an ignition wire or electrical harness rubbing somewhere causing your misfires/stalling on turns when the engine or drivetrain moves. The fuel pressure regulator is located at the back of the fuel rail, on the drivers side. It’s pretty easily accessible.
If thats the case, i took off that hose, and gas was spitting out of it while running.
Then the diaphragm has ruptured and you would need to replace the regulator. Nothing should be coming out of it. I wouldn’t do it while the vehicle is running…get the car hot, turn it off, then remove the vacuum line to check for leaks. You don’t want to start a fire if it’s a bad leak and you have the engine running!
Correct, if it’s good, nothing should come out…but even if there is nothing, at least put your nose to the vacuum line…even the hint of gas smell, I would replace the regulator.
I will do that as it had gas coming out of the unit, not sure if was the hose.
Yes, gas would come out of the regulator if it is bad.
Great, thanks very much for your help.
No problem, glad to help! Have a nice evening.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Car Repair Problems For Mechanics Car repairs can be tough on a mechanic. Auto repair on cars and trucks for a living can take it's toll on you. After years of sevicing all makes and models, my head is full of info...
- 1998 Mazda 626 Failed Smog Test With Code P0455 I am having to fix a Mazda 626 1998 EVAP gross gas leak, can you help me? ProTech: I sure can try...what seems to be the trouble? Smog failed test, a EVAP system gas leak. ...
- Chevy Blazer Heater, Gauges and 4WD Drive Problems Chevy Blazer. My heat won’t work but nothing’s leaking can u please help me. With the heat not working, I'll have to assume you mean it just blows cold instead of not blowing at...
- Chevrolet Volt Review From a Dealer Mechanic So, a day or two ago we got our first Chevrolet Volt electric car at the dealership. With it, came much attention from everyone at the dealership, as well as some enthusiastic cust...
- No Oil Pressure To Rocker Arms On Chevy Monte Carlo 2003 Chevy Monte Carlo v6 3400. I replaced the cylinder heads everything is ok but oil doesn't seem to travel up threw the the push rods. ProTech: Are you checking this with th...
- 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix Transmission And Catalytic Converter Codes I have a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with a 3.8L Series II engine. I am having 2 different issues with this vehicle. First, the transmission has started jerking hard into gears. It ...