Well my car is dead and it won’t start. The Trac off light came on and the check engine light and the battery light and the oil light came on and when I went to step on the gas pedal it wouldn’t increase speed. It is a 2001 Chevy Cavalier.
Does the engine crank over when you turn the key?
The engine tries to turn over.
Do you think that it could be contributed to the coil pack.
But is it cranking and cranking and won’t start, or is it cranking very slow?
It acts like it wants to turn over but won’t.
OK. Then it just sounds like a dead battery or loose cables on the battery. This would explain all the lights and not accelerating since the system voltage is way too low.
It is not the battery because it is a new battery. My dad put a volt meter on it and it was reading 12.5 amps.
OK. You mean 12.5 volts. Have the battery cables checked. There is a common problem on the Chevy Cavalier with the negative battery cable. It goes from the battery to the bottom of the battery tray and get corroded there and can give the same symptoms you are having, like a bad battery.
Well do you think that it might be the fuel pump or the timing belt.
No. You have an electrical problem. That is why all those lights came on. Especially the battery light. I would also suggest having the ignition switch checked if the cable I spoke of is OK.
Do you think it might be the coil pack?
Let me clarify something. Did the car die out then the dash lights came on? Because that would be normal. If the lights came on, then it would not accelerate then it dies out would make it a system wide electrical problem, not ignition coils.
I’m not sure i can’t remember but the lights i don’t think came on until after i stopped
OK. Well that changes things. The lights WILL come on after an engine stall. If the engine is cranking but not starting, then you need to check for spark and fuel pressure.
Ok thanks for your help.
My 2005 Chevy Cavalier
My car seems to go in to the panic mode when ever it wants to, lights flash horn blows and interior lights come on at any given time for no reason. We have taken the batteries out of the remotes for locking and unlocking the car the trunk and panic. Still it goes off can you help me with a cure for this?
Sounds like you have a problem in the Body Control Module (BCM). This module controls the functions of the systems you are having problems with.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Chevrolet Volt Review From a Dealer Mechanic So, a day or two ago we got our first Chevrolet Volt electric car at the dealership. With it, came much attention from e...
- Electric Power Steering - Problems And Repairs Many more of new cars and trucks today are using a new kind of power steering system. This system is all electric. That ...
- 1995 Pontiac Bonneville Will Not Crank Over Live Chat: I have a Pontiac Bonneville that will not start. What year? What happens when you turn the key? Does it...
- After Replacing Oxygen Sensors And Throttle- Truck Has High Idle I have a 2000 Ford F-150 4.2 ltr v6 2wd. It was throwing codes p0171 and p0174. I changed the upstream o2 sensors and th...
- How To Test 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Dead Battery Draw I have a Chevy Tahoe 2005 4x2 and something keeps pulling battery down. I was told to hook a test light to negative side...
- 1996 Pontiac Grand Am Gauges Problem I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am, the car starts then dies. There is no power to the gauge cluster and the radio wont come...