2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Trac Off and Engine Light
Well my car is dead and it won’t start. The Trac off light came on and the check engine light and the battery light and the oil light came on and when I went to step on the gas pedal it wouldn’t increase speed. It is a 2001 Chevy Cavalier.
Does the engine crank over when you turn the key?
The engine tries to turn over.
Do you think that it could be contributed to the coil pack.
But is it cranking and cranking and won’t start, or is it cranking very slow?
It acts like it wants to turn over but won’t.
OK. Then it just sounds like a dead battery or loose cables on the battery. This would explain all the lights and not accelerating since the system voltage is way too low.
It is not the battery because it is a new battery. My dad put a volt meter on it and it was reading 12.5 amps.
OK. You mean 12.5 volts. Have the battery cables checked. There is a common problem on the Chevy Cavalier with the negative battery cable. It goes from the battery to the bottom of the battery tray and get corroded there and can give the same symptoms you are having, like a bad battery.
Well do you think that it might be the fuel pump or the timing belt.
No. You have an electrical problem. That is why all those lights came on. Especially the battery light. I would also suggest having the ignition switch checked if the cable I spoke of is OK.
Do you think it might be the coil pack?
Let me clarify something. Did the car die out then the dash lights came on? Because that would be normal. If the lights came on, then it would not accelerate then it dies out would make it a system wide electrical problem, not ignition coils.
I’m not sure i can’t remember but the lights i don’t think came on until after i stopped
OK. Well that changes things. The lights WILL come on after an engine stall. If the engine is cranking but not starting, then you need to check for spark and fuel pressure.
Ok thanks for your help.
My 2005 Chevy Cavalier
My car seems to go in to the panic mode when ever it wants to, lights flash horn blows and interior lights come on at any given time for no reason. We have taken the batteries out of the remotes for locking and unlocking the car the trunk and panic. Still it goes off can you help me with a cure for this?
Sounds like you have a problem in the Body Control Module (BCM). This module controls the functions of the systems you are having problems with.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 2006 Chevy Silverado ABS Brakes Vibrating At Slow Speeds Hello I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado 4X4 crew cab, having ABS problems, first once the ABS where coming on when I was braking. Just normal at a stop sign. It felt like air in the sy...
- 2005 Chevy Equinox heat air problem My 05 equinox heat/air was blowing perfect, and then slowly started to stop, coming on sometimes when I would turn the middle knob, until stopping completely. We replaced the resis...
- Electric Power Steering - Problems And Repairs Many more of new cars and trucks today are using a new kind of power steering system. This system is all electric. That is, there is no hydraulic power steering pump that is driven...
- Ford Explorer Noise In Front Goes Away Turning Right My 2003 Ford Explorer is making a loud noise when driving. It gets louder as I accelerate but stops when turning right. I already changed wheel bearing on the front left side bu...
- 1995 Ford Escort Fan Stays On and Kills Battery I HAVE A 1995 FORD ESCORT, JUST HAD THE TIMING BELT AND WATER PUMP REPLACED, WITH 2 NEW HOSES AND NEW CABLES FOR THE NEW BATTERY. GOT IT HOME THE ALTERTOR WENT OUT GOT NEW ONE. WEL...
- 2000 Pontiac Grand Am Won't Start After Intake Gaskets Replaced I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand AM GT 3.4L. I just replaced intake gaskets and lifters soaked lifters in oil for 24 hrs car set for a week with battery unhooked put all back together c...