Live Chat: I’m having the same problem as far as the ABS and Traction control light coming on. I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox and when ever I start the truck and go to pull off the brakes starts to vibrate and is hard to stop until the ABS and Traction control light comes on and then your able to brake with no problem but the lights stay on. I just replaced the rotors, brake pad & abs wheel speed sensor and still have the same problem with abs and traction control light coming on…Any advise of what next to do??
Mechanic JK: Just so I am clear. As you start to accelerate the brakes are applying?
No under normal breaking the Abs is working as though under heavy breaking until lights come on.
OK. Then you have an ABS speed sensor or wiring to a sensor problem. You say you replaced a speed sensor. Which one did you replace and why did you replace it?
Drivers side and because of this problem.
Was that a guess to replace that sensor, or did you have the system scanned for codes and got one for that side?
Took it to a shop and they said it was out of range.
They said it was that side. Second one in less than a month.
Well, without knowing the code they got, assuming it was for that one, then you may have a wiring problem to that sensor, and not the sensor itself. Are the sensors you are putting on non-factory, inexpensive parts? The sensor reads a toothed ring inside the wheel bearing/hub assembly. It is also possible that hub is bad.
OK. Then you need to inspect the wiring very closely from the sensor up to the frame and up to the Brake module. Pull on the wires to see if one stretches. A better way is to use a meter to check the wires for continuity from the module to the sensor connector. If wires are good, I would suspect a bad hub bearing. Again, without knowing the exact code number, this is just an educated guess.
Is this a recurring problem?
We have seen wiring problems on this and other vehicles. Every time the steering wheel is turned, the wiring harness to the front sensors move a little. Over time this can cause them to break.
You know it might have something to do with the steering wheel is turned and where is the harness located that this might happen?
I mean the wiring at the front wheels. When the wheels are turned during normal driving.
At the wheels in the steering column at the steering knuckle?
At the wheels / knuckle area. The harness that connects to the speed sensor harness.
OK thank you for your help!!!
Your welcome. Good luck !
2005 Chevrolet Equinox
I just got two new tires put on the front of the car. And whenever I go more then 45 mph. My Traction Control System [TCS] light come on. And make the car stay at 45 or less. This never happen before only today when I got my tire put on the car. Is there any way to get this fixed.
ProTech: Are you sure they put the correct size tires on the Equinox?
Yes I think so !! Is there anyway I can make sure.
Go look at the sidewall of all four tires and get the size off of them.
Thank you They are all not the right size. The size my car uses is P235/65/17 and the two front tires they put on p235/55/17.
That is your problem then! You need the correct size tires and you’ll be fine.
ok thank you.
Brakes Get Hot
Sometimes while driving, car develops bad vibration in front end. So bad you can barely drive it. When I get home, the left front wheel is very hot and splattered with grease. If I let the car sit for a while, then drive it again, it is fine. Sometimes several days go by with no problems, then it happens again. Already replaced the caliper and wheel hub. I think something in ABS system may not be letting the the left front caliper release. ABS light has never come on in this car.
If the brake caliper and hub bearing did not fix it, you may have a brake line deteriorating inside bausing the fluid pressure to not release. Also check for contaminated brake fluid.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Vehicle Emissions System Problems And Repairs Based on the amount of repairs we do on emission components on just about every type of vehicle, I thought I would write...
- How to Get Replacement Car Keys Today's newer GM vehicles utilize a PassKey theft deterrent system. Also sometimes called 'plus key' because of the litt...
- Chevrolet Impala Emissions Leak And Brake Noise Just had spark plugs, plug wires, thermostat, fan assembly and head gaskets replaced on my 2002 Chevy Impala . The check...
- Chevy Blazer Transmission Problems And Won't Start I have a 1994 Chevrolet Blazer with the 4.3 ltr Vortec Motor. I am getting gas to schrader valve on motor but not to the...
- Is This A 1949 Oldsmobile? Hi, I have a question. We have a few pictures of a ’'supposedly’’ 1949 Oldsmobile. We aren’t convinced that it’s a ’49. ...
- 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Overheats and Blown Engine Hello. Wow it's free? Most of these charge money. Yes we are. Well just a few questions...car is a 1997 Oldsmobile...