2006 Chevrolet Impala Shifter Stuck In Park
This is a common problem. You have an issue with the shift interlock solenoid, most likely a broken wire. If you shut the car off, you may not be able to get the key completely out, so be aware of that.
Is this wiring something I can fix my self? I have done work on cars like brakes and things like that.
You can probably fix it yourself. The center console will need to be removed so you can access the solenoid connector/wiring.
Is that hard to remove? I have some tools.
The shift handle has to come off, which is held on by a small Torx screw. Then there are several fasteners that have to come out to remove it. Some are in the front of the console near the shifter and there are some down in the compartment. One electrical connector near the front has to be disconnected, then you can lift the entire console assembly upward and out.
I think the MODERATOR has a link to a picture of the wiring if you’d like.
You’d want to look for one or more broken wires at the connector at the base of the shifter on the right side. Usually it’s the black or white wire that breaks.
Yes, that would be great. I am going to try to get the console off soon.
Link to pictures of Impala shift solenoid broken wiring area.
Wonderful pictures. So I just need to lift the console up, not completely out of the car?
It is easier to completely remove it.
OK. Thank you SO MUCH !
Your very welcome.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 2004 Chevy Impala Temperature Gauge Goes From Half To Full Hot Hi there. this is a cooling system issue. I just purchased a 2004 Chevrolet Impala basic. There is only water. No coolant in the radiator. The temperature gauge fluctuates from hal...
- 2002 Oldsmobile Alero Marker Lamps Stay On I need help with LED bulbs on my 2002 Oldsmobile Alero. ProTech: Yes, go ahead. What make and model vehicle do you have? Was this from some sort of conversion kit with instruct...
- Ford Explorer Noise In Front Goes Away Turning Right My 2003 Ford Explorer is making a loud noise when driving. It gets louder as I accelerate but stops when turning right. I already changed wheel bearing on the front left side bu...
- ABS And Traction Control Lights On Where can i get my cars PCM scanned. What year and model vehicle? 1999 Lincoln towncar. Most of the large national parts store chains will do that for free. oh tanks ,s...
- Do It Yourself Car Maintenance And Repairs Just a quick article about some things you 'do-it-yourself' guys and gals should keep in mind when doing repairs and regular maintenance on your vehicle. Now, I obviously do all th...
- mitsubishi galant is acting up I have a 2002 mitsubishi galant 2.4 engine. When I stop, it acts like it’s going to shut off if i don’t hit the gas right away but then if i do it jumps or skips or something in th...