This is a common problem. You have an issue with the shift interlock solenoid, most likely a broken wire. If you shut the car off, you may not be able to get the key completely out, so be aware of that.
Is this wiring something I can fix my self? I have done work on cars like brakes and things like that.
You can probably fix it yourself. The center console will need to be removed so you can access the solenoid connector/wiring.
Is that hard to remove? I have some tools.
The shift handle has to come off, which is held on by a small Torx screw. Then there are several fasteners that have to come out to remove it. Some are in the front of the console near the shifter and there are some down in the compartment. One electrical connector near the front has to be disconnected, then you can lift the entire console assembly upward and out.
I think the MODERATOR has a link to a picture of the wiring if you’d like.
You’d want to look for one or more broken wires at the connector at the base of the shifter on the right side. Usually it’s the black or white wire that breaks.
Yes, that would be great. I am going to try to get the console off soon.
Link to pictures of Impala shift solenoid broken wiring area.
Wonderful pictures. So I just need to lift the console up, not completely out of the car?
It is easier to completely remove it.
OK. Thank you SO MUCH !
Your very welcome.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Buick Lesabre Stalls Out And Check Engine Light 1995 Buick Lesabre-check engine light would come on; car would die in traffic; and car would buck or lung while in drive...
- How To Replace 2009 Chevy Traverse Fuse How do i change the power outlet fuse on my 2009 Chevy Traverse. The front one and passenger one went out and is not cha...
- High Beam Indicator On The Dash Of My GMC 2500 Why is the high beam light on in the dash of my 2004 GMC 2500 pick up when the truck is off and the high beam lever is o...
- Where is The Thermostat on Chevrolet Trailblazer This article comes about by the seemingly mass confusion of where the thermostat is located on 2002 and up Chevrolet Tra...
- Oil and Coolant Mixing In Engine- Pictures I had the pleasure recently, or displeasure rather, of getting a customer's vehicle that was overheating and running ver...
- 1996 GMC Sierra Heat Defroster Controls Not Working Live Chat I have a 1996 GMC 3500 Sierra 7.4 Litre. Battery cable came loose, arced and blew fuses. Replaced fuses and...