2006 Chevrolet Impala Shifter Stuck In Park
This is a common problem. You have an issue with the shift interlock solenoid, most likely a broken wire. If you shut the car off, you may not be able to get the key completely out, so be aware of that.
Is this wiring something I can fix my self? I have done work on cars like brakes and things like that.
You can probably fix it yourself. The center console will need to be removed so you can access the solenoid connector/wiring.
Is that hard to remove? I have some tools.
The shift handle has to come off, which is held on by a small Torx screw. Then there are several fasteners that have to come out to remove it. Some are in the front of the console near the shifter and there are some down in the compartment. One electrical connector near the front has to be disconnected, then you can lift the entire console assembly upward and out.
I think the MODERATOR has a link to a picture of the wiring if you’d like.
You’d want to look for one or more broken wires at the connector at the base of the shifter on the right side. Usually it’s the black or white wire that breaks.
Yes, that would be great. I am going to try to get the console off soon.
Link to pictures of Impala shift solenoid broken wiring area.
Wonderful pictures. So I just need to lift the console up, not completely out of the car?
It is easier to completely remove it.
OK. Thank you SO MUCH !
Your very welcome.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Location of Coolant Bypass on Chevrolet Impala 3800 Were is the bypass hose on a 3800 V6. ProTech: Are you referring to the coolant bypass hose? Yes The 3800 does not really have a bypass hose. It is a small plastic 90 deg...
- No Heat In My 2000 Chevrolet Malibu - Blower Not Working Hi. My heat stopped working in my 2000 Chevy Malibu. The heat was making a chortling-type sound and then stopped working. Then it came on again a couple times but seems to be done ...
- 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer Engine Light And Misfire Codes 2006 Chevy Trailblazer with 4200 engine and 50,00 miles. why a cylinder #4 and #6 leak? ProTech: What kind of leak? Sorry 50,000 miles. the dealer said they did a leak down ...
- Spark Plug Failure Causing SES Code P0300 One thing I see quite a bit these days, is vehicles coming into the shop running badly, misfiring, check engine light code P0300 and getting very poor fuel economy. Usually upon a ...
- How To Buy A Car Online Without Seeing It First This article is about the many pitfalls of buying a new or used vehicle without seeing it first. Many people out there are buying vehicles on auction websites, from online ads, and...
- Buick Winshield Washer Pump Motor Not Working 2000 Regal LS. Windshield washer system is not working. The washer pump won't function. The motor won't run when installed. I have 12 volts at the washer motor electrical connector...