This is a common problem. You have an issue with the shift interlock solenoid, most likely a broken wire. If you shut the car off, you may not be able to get the key completely out, so be aware of that.
Is this wiring something I can fix my self? I have done work on cars like brakes and things like that.
You can probably fix it yourself. The center console will need to be removed so you can access the solenoid connector/wiring.
Is that hard to remove? I have some tools.
The shift handle has to come off, which is held on by a small Torx screw. Then there are several fasteners that have to come out to remove it. Some are in the front of the console near the shifter and there are some down in the compartment. One electrical connector near the front has to be disconnected, then you can lift the entire console assembly upward and out.
I think the MODERATOR has a link to a picture of the wiring if you’d like.
You’d want to look for one or more broken wires at the connector at the base of the shifter on the right side. Usually it’s the black or white wire that breaks.
Yes, that would be great. I am going to try to get the console off soon.
Link to pictures of Impala shift solenoid broken wiring area.
Wonderful pictures. So I just need to lift the console up, not completely out of the car?
It is easier to completely remove it.
OK. Thank you SO MUCH !
Your very welcome.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 2006 Chevy Malibu Will Crank But Not Start My 2006 Chevy Malibu will crank up, but it will not engage/or turnover until i press the accelerator...once that happens it works out fine...until the next time i crank it up. P...
- Jeep ABS And Rear Brake Lights Problems I was driving with my emergency brakes up and my ABS light came on. I checked and my brakes fluid was low I put some in but the light is still coming on. ProTech So, you were d...
- 1990 power steering not working I have a chevy 1990 van 350 & i had a mechanic replace the power steering pump NAPA forgot to give me the ”reservoir” when it was done (which cost $255!) my steering will some...
- 2004 Chevrolet Suburban Service Stability Light Wondering if you knew what the code co455 for a 2004 Suburban. Protech: That code is for the steering wheel position sensor. Usually those need replacement when this code occur...
- 1997 Pontiac Grand Am ABS And Check Engine Light My husband has a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am and the oil, ABS and check engine light came on, there is oil in the car and we just had maintenance work done on it a few months ago, spark ...
- 2002 chevy trailblazer stall and oil light When I stop at red light oil pressure gauge drops to zero and then back up and engine tries to stall. Then i take off and its fine, it only happens driving in town,not on interstat...