2006 Chevrolet Impala Shifter Stuck In Park
This is a common problem. You have an issue with the shift interlock solenoid, most likely a broken wire. If you shut the car off, you may not be able to get the key completely out, so be aware of that.
Is this wiring something I can fix my self? I have done work on cars like brakes and things like that.
You can probably fix it yourself. The center console will need to be removed so you can access the solenoid connector/wiring.
Is that hard to remove? I have some tools.
The shift handle has to come off, which is held on by a small Torx screw. Then there are several fasteners that have to come out to remove it. Some are in the front of the console near the shifter and there are some down in the compartment. One electrical connector near the front has to be disconnected, then you can lift the entire console assembly upward and out.
I think the MODERATOR has a link to a picture of the wiring if you’d like.
You’d want to look for one or more broken wires at the connector at the base of the shifter on the right side. Usually it’s the black or white wire that breaks.
Yes, that would be great. I am going to try to get the console off soon.
Link to pictures of Impala shift solenoid broken wiring area.
Wonderful pictures. So I just need to lift the console up, not completely out of the car?
It is easier to completely remove it.
OK. Thank you SO MUCH !
Your very welcome.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Cadillac ELR, Nissan Resonance and Ford Atlas win Eyes on Design awards Filed under: Detroit Auto Show, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Ford, Nissan, Design/Style This year's annual Eyes on Design awards were presented at the end of press days for the Detroit Auto Show on Tuesday. Given out for the best production and concept car de...
- GMC Sierra A/C Clutch | Chevy Malibu Blows Warm Air 2000 GMC Sierra 1500 4.3 Vortec v-6. The clutch went out on my A/C unit. Do I have to replace the whole system or can I replace the clutch and bearing only? Will I have any freon l...
- 2000 Pontiac Grand Am Won't Start After Intake Gaskets Replaced I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand AM GT 3.4L. I just replaced intake gaskets and lifters soaked lifters in oil for 24 hrs car set for a week with battery unhooked put all back together c...
- 1996 Pontiac Grand Am Gauges Problem I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am, the car starts then dies. There is no power to the gauge cluster and the radio wont come on. I replaced ignition switch but did not help. Battery is...
- How To Test 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Dead Battery Draw I have a Chevy Tahoe 2005 4x2 and something keeps pulling battery down. I was told to hook a test light to negative side of and did it and pull all fuses one at a time and light st...
- Engine RPM Jump Before Shifting 1999 Grand Prix Question: Hi I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix. I am starting to think that there is something wrong with the shift solenoid. The car is still in good mechanical condition, the chec...