This is a common problem. You have an issue with the shift interlock solenoid, most likely a broken wire. If you shut the car off, you may not be able to get the key completely out, so be aware of that.
Is this wiring something I can fix my self? I have done work on cars like brakes and things like that.
You can probably fix it yourself. The center console will need to be removed so you can access the solenoid connector/wiring.
Is that hard to remove? I have some tools.
The shift handle has to come off, which is held on by a small Torx screw. Then there are several fasteners that have to come out to remove it. Some are in the front of the console near the shifter and there are some down in the compartment. One electrical connector near the front has to be disconnected, then you can lift the entire console assembly upward and out.
I think the MODERATOR has a link to a picture of the wiring if you’d like.
You’d want to look for one or more broken wires at the connector at the base of the shifter on the right side. Usually it’s the black or white wire that breaks.
Yes, that would be great. I am going to try to get the console off soon.
Link to pictures of Impala shift solenoid broken wiring area.
Wonderful pictures. So I just need to lift the console up, not completely out of the car?
It is easier to completely remove it.
OK. Thank you SO MUCH !
Your very welcome.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Information About Car Safety Recalls Lately at work, there has been an increase on vehicles coming in for recall work or other safety issues. Usually, this i...
- Chevrolet Traverse And GMC Timing Chains Replacement A big thing we've seen a lot of over the past year or so, has been timing chain problems on the Chevy Traverse, Saturn O...
- 2000 Dodge Stratus Jolting At Low Speeds Hello! I own a 2000 Dodge Stratus. Last week I noticed that when I accelerated and decelerated at low speeds my car woul...
- Jeep ABS And Rear Brake Lights Problems I was driving with my emergency brakes up and my ABS light came on. I checked and my brakes fluid was low I put some in ...
- 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Engine Overheating Hello first time here, just looking for a little help or a lot, well here is my issues. I purchased a 1998 Pontiac Grand...
- 1995 Pontiac Bonneville Won't Idle I have a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville that has a 3.8L (3800)v6 engine, It starts rough and wont idle it also wont accelerate ...