This is a common problem. You have an issue with the shift interlock solenoid, most likely a broken wire. If you shut the car off, you may not be able to get the key completely out, so be aware of that.
Is this wiring something I can fix my self? I have done work on cars like brakes and things like that.
You can probably fix it yourself. The center console will need to be removed so you can access the solenoid connector/wiring.
Is that hard to remove? I have some tools.
The shift handle has to come off, which is held on by a small Torx screw. Then there are several fasteners that have to come out to remove it. Some are in the front of the console near the shifter and there are some down in the compartment. One electrical connector near the front has to be disconnected, then you can lift the entire console assembly upward and out.
I think the MODERATOR has a link to a picture of the wiring if you’d like.
You’d want to look for one or more broken wires at the connector at the base of the shifter on the right side. Usually it’s the black or white wire that breaks.
Yes, that would be great. I am going to try to get the console off soon.
Link to pictures of Impala shift solenoid broken wiring area.
Wonderful pictures. So I just need to lift the console up, not completely out of the car?
It is easier to completely remove it.
OK. Thank you SO MUCH !
Your very welcome.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 1997 Pontiac Firebird Battery Dead After a Few Days 1997 Pontiac Firebird. I have a new battery but my car still will not start after it sits for a few days. It has been do...
- 1995 Buick Lesabre Is Loosing Engine Power I have a 1995 Buick Lesabre and its cutting all power sometimes when turning and at a little incline. Protech: Cutti...
- 2009 Chevy Impala Engine Light And Reduced Power 2009 Chevrolet Impala won't seem to have any pick up says reduced engine power on dash. Have you noticed if the check...
- 2006 Chevy Silverado Transmission and Heater Problems Hi I just had a rebuild transmission put in my 06 Chevy Silverado truck. It ran fine for a couple of day now it doesn't ...
- 2006 Chevy Equinox Temp Gauge and Trailblazer Heater Core 2006 Chevrolet EQUINOX ... AFTER A COOLANT SYTEM FLUSH MY TEMP GAUGE SHOWS A COOLER TEMPSERATURE THAN USUAL..CHECK ENGIN...
- 2003 GMC Yukon Dash Gauges Not Working- Recall My 2003 Yukon XL (Suburban) with 5.3 motor and 70k miles has no power to any of dash gauges. The truck runs and operates...