This is a common problem. You have an issue with the shift interlock solenoid, most likely a broken wire. If you shut the car off, you may not be able to get the key completely out, so be aware of that.
Is this wiring something I can fix my self? I have done work on cars like brakes and things like that.
You can probably fix it yourself. The center console will need to be removed so you can access the solenoid connector/wiring.
Is that hard to remove? I have some tools.
The shift handle has to come off, which is held on by a small Torx screw. Then there are several fasteners that have to come out to remove it. Some are in the front of the console near the shifter and there are some down in the compartment. One electrical connector near the front has to be disconnected, then you can lift the entire console assembly upward and out.
I think the MODERATOR has a link to a picture of the wiring if you’d like.
You’d want to look for one or more broken wires at the connector at the base of the shifter on the right side. Usually it’s the black or white wire that breaks.
Yes, that would be great. I am going to try to get the console off soon.
Link to pictures of Impala shift solenoid broken wiring area.
Wonderful pictures. So I just need to lift the console up, not completely out of the car?
It is easier to completely remove it.
OK. Thank you SO MUCH !
Your very welcome.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 2007 Chevy Equinox Freon Pressure Problem 2007 Chevy Equinox: HVAC A/C- 1) A/C on/off button not functioning, press to off and system still running as A/C, toggl...
- 1995 Ford Escort Fan Stays On and Kills Battery I HAVE A 1995 FORD ESCORT, JUST HAD THE TIMING BELT AND WATER PUMP REPLACED, WITH 2 NEW HOSES AND NEW CABLES FOR THE NEW...
- Reduced Engine Power Warning And Check Engine Light The reduced engine power warning message can come on your car or truck. Today's vehicles are for the most part completel...
- 1998 Mazda 626 Failed Smog Test With Code P0455 I am having to fix a Mazda 626 1998 EVAP gross gas leak, can you help me? ProTech: I sure can try...what seems to be...
- 2004 Buick Regal ABS, TRAC OFF And Engine Light I have a 2004 Buick Regal LS with 194k. I haven’t had any major issues with it, but tonight I was driving and, randomly,...
- Can I Replace The Fuel Sender Without Removing The Tank? How do I replace the Fuel Gauge Sensor in a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix? ProTech: You have to remove the gas tank and fu...