This is a common problem. You have an issue with the shift interlock solenoid, most likely a broken wire. If you shut the car off, you may not be able to get the key completely out, so be aware of that.
Is this wiring something I can fix my self? I have done work on cars like brakes and things like that.
You can probably fix it yourself. The center console will need to be removed so you can access the solenoid connector/wiring.
Is that hard to remove? I have some tools.
The shift handle has to come off, which is held on by a small Torx screw. Then there are several fasteners that have to come out to remove it. Some are in the front of the console near the shifter and there are some down in the compartment. One electrical connector near the front has to be disconnected, then you can lift the entire console assembly upward and out.
I think the MODERATOR has a link to a picture of the wiring if you’d like.
You’d want to look for one or more broken wires at the connector at the base of the shifter on the right side. Usually it’s the black or white wire that breaks.
Yes, that would be great. I am going to try to get the console off soon.
Link to pictures of Impala shift solenoid broken wiring area.
Wonderful pictures. So I just need to lift the console up, not completely out of the car?
It is easier to completely remove it.
OK. Thank you SO MUCH !
Your very welcome.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Body Shop Repairs Cause More Car Problems So, the other day I had this Chevrolet Impala come in the shop. It was dropped off by a local body shop who had repaired...
- 2004 Buick Century Heater and Wipers Stopped Working I have a 2004 Buick Century and all of a sudden the power windows, heater and wiper blade arms stopped working. There is...
- 2000 Saturn Has Engine Noise and No Oil In It My 2000 Saturn SL2 is making noises when I accelerate. I took it in today to get an oil change and it was bone dry. What...
- 1998 Pontiac Bonneville Security Light Flashing 1998 Pontiac Bonneville just started not starting(no starter action) one time and then starting later. My security light...
- GMC Canyon Code P0116 Temperature Sensor And P0102 MAF 2006 GMC Canyon. When you push on the gas to take off it hesitates, while I am driving you can feel the engine hesitatin...
- 1995 Pontiac Bonneville Will Not Crank Over Live Chat: I have a Pontiac Bonneville that will not start. What year? What happens when you turn the key? Does it...