This is a common problem. You have an issue with the shift interlock solenoid, most likely a broken wire. If you shut the car off, you may not be able to get the key completely out, so be aware of that.
Is this wiring something I can fix my self? I have done work on cars like brakes and things like that.
You can probably fix it yourself. The center console will need to be removed so you can access the solenoid connector/wiring.
Is that hard to remove? I have some tools.
The shift handle has to come off, which is held on by a small Torx screw. Then there are several fasteners that have to come out to remove it. Some are in the front of the console near the shifter and there are some down in the compartment. One electrical connector near the front has to be disconnected, then you can lift the entire console assembly upward and out.
I think the MODERATOR has a link to a picture of the wiring if you’d like.
You’d want to look for one or more broken wires at the connector at the base of the shifter on the right side. Usually it’s the black or white wire that breaks.
Yes, that would be great. I am going to try to get the console off soon.
Link to pictures of Impala shift solenoid broken wiring area.
Wonderful pictures. So I just need to lift the console up, not completely out of the car?
It is easier to completely remove it.
OK. Thank you SO MUCH !
Your very welcome.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Should I Use Factory Repacement Parts in my Car? A lot of people are under the assumption that parts are parts, and getting the lowest price on a certain part for your v...
- 2007 Grand Prix Headlights Keep Going Out I have a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix and my headlights keep going out. Mechanic JK Both sides at the same time? Do you m...
- 2000 Oldsmobile Intrique Won't Crank When I Turn The Key Live Chat My 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue does nothing once I turn the key!? ProTech: Is the battery dead? No new bat...
- 2001 Chevrolet Impala Has No Brake Lights 2001 Chevy Impala rear brake lights are not working. I do have the 3rd brake lights. All of the bulbs are good. I bypa...
- 2004 Chevy Impala 3.4L Spark Plug Wire Routing I have a 2004 Chevy impala that i cant get my wires set right on.i really need some help with my spark plug wires.i remo...
- Do It Yourself Car Maintenance And Repairs Just a quick article about some things you 'do-it-yourself' guys and gals should keep in mind when doing repairs and reg...