This is a common problem. You have an issue with the shift interlock solenoid, most likely a broken wire. If you shut the car off, you may not be able to get the key completely out, so be aware of that.
Is this wiring something I can fix my self? I have done work on cars like brakes and things like that.
You can probably fix it yourself. The center console will need to be removed so you can access the solenoid connector/wiring.
Is that hard to remove? I have some tools.
The shift handle has to come off, which is held on by a small Torx screw. Then there are several fasteners that have to come out to remove it. Some are in the front of the console near the shifter and there are some down in the compartment. One electrical connector near the front has to be disconnected, then you can lift the entire console assembly upward and out.
I think the MODERATOR has a link to a picture of the wiring if you’d like.
You’d want to look for one or more broken wires at the connector at the base of the shifter on the right side. Usually it’s the black or white wire that breaks.
Yes, that would be great. I am going to try to get the console off soon.
Link to pictures of Impala shift solenoid broken wiring area.
Wonderful pictures. So I just need to lift the console up, not completely out of the car?
It is easier to completely remove it.
OK. Thank you SO MUCH !
Your very welcome.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Chevy Blazer Transmission Problems And Won't Start I have a 1994 Chevrolet Blazer with the 4.3 ltr Vortec Motor. I am getting gas to schrader valve on motor but not to the...
- 2006 Chevy Silverado ABS Brakes Vibrating At Slow Speeds Hello I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado 4X4 crew cab, having ABS problems, first once the ABS where coming on when I was bra...
- 2003 Dodge Door Locks And Engine Bearing Problem I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 and just recently the door ajar light comes on and the door locks try to lock on accelerati...
- New Chevrolet Car and Truck Reviews Read the review and test drive for the newest Chevy cars and trucks by the experts. Unbiased reviews with tons of great information. These articles are full of information if you are in the market to buy a new vehicle, or you just want to learn what is coming up in the automotive industry.
- 2006 Buick Rainier Won't Shift And Speedometer Not Working I have a 2006 Buick Rainier. Last night everything was fine. This morning when we were on our way to the store it would ...
- 2004 Chevrolet Suburban Service Stability Light Wondering if you knew what the code co455 for a 2004 Suburban. Protech: That code is for the steering wheel position...