Hi there. this is a cooling system issue. I just purchased a 2004 Chevrolet Impala basic. There is only water. No coolant in the radiator. The temperature gauge fluctuates from half way mark to the 3/4 mark. However when I stick a calibrated bio-thermometer in the over flow tank the temp only reads 118 F at it`s hottest point after idling for 15 minutes. And when I check it with the live data on my scanner it temps out at 213-220. does this sound like a faulty coolant temp sensor ?
First of all, you should really get the mixture correct before doing any testing on the cooling system. I would recommend at least adding 50/50 mix of coolant and water and then check again. The over flow tank is not the place to check a temperature reading either. The coolant would have cooled somewhat before it reaches the tank. The live data reading seems like it’s about in the right place. You may just have a gauge that is a bit off.
OK. When I drain the coolant should I check the thermostat for gasket wear also ? And what should I do if i get the same results after the coolant change ? Thank you.
I really think you’ll be fine. The temperature that is it currently running at is normal (220). I’m pretty sure your thermostat is ok since you do have flow and heat. If it was stuck open, it wouldn’t reach operating temp and would set a code. Stuck closed and you’d be overheating. I’d recommend getting a proper mix in the system, and you should be just fine.
The gauge on the dash is never exactly as correct as the coolant temp sensor. It may be high or low compared to actual. If it runs near the 3/4 mark but the car is still only 220 degrees, you know you’re ok.
I almost forgot. This is a weird one I never seen before. My wipers will not work on the 2004 Impala 3.4L on any speed. However, they will work when I push the button/switch to spray washer fluid. I checked the fuse and it is good. They will go like 3 swipes then stop.
Lucky you asked when you did, because live chat is closing in a moment…As for your problem, you could need a new wiper switch, or you could have a problem inside the control module which is part of the motor assembly.
Thanks and good night. What time est. do you guys start.
Again you’re welcome….We are only here on Tuesday and Thursday nights at 8pm eastern. If you have a question, you can register for our forums and ask it in there. Thank you and good night.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 1999 Oldsmobile Alero Whistling Noise I have a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero and it’s making a whistling noise. Sounds like it’s coming from the vacuum pack at the re...
- New Chevrolet Car and Truck Reviews Read the review and test drive for the newest Chevy cars and trucks by the experts. Unbiased reviews with tons of great information. These articles are full of information if you are in the market to buy a new vehicle, or you just want to learn what is coming up in the automotive industry.
- 2000 Oldsmobile Intrique Won't Crank When I Turn The Key Live Chat My 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue does nothing once I turn the key!? ProTech: Is the battery dead? No new bat...
- Buick Engine Idling Very High After Jump Start I have a 1995 Buick Century special (sedan). the newer v6, 3.1. I just replaced the whole wiring engine harness due to a...
- Pontiac Grand Prix Knocking Noise- Will Not Crank Over Yes, I have a 2005 Grand Prix and every time it shifts it makes a slight knocking noise. Shifts sorry. That's OK, som...
- Chevrolet S-10 Truck Starting Problems Answered 1994 Chevrolet S-10 4.3 tbi. I never get the signal to turn on the fuel pump or fire the injectors but if i poor gas in ...