Hey, I have a 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo. My security has locked the car up. do i have to take the car to GM to get a Passlock reset or can i do it myself?
Is it physically locked and wont turn, or does it turn and the car won’t start?
OK. The most common problem with this is the key cylinder. It is also known as the Passlock Cylinder. A new one would need to be coded to your key, then replaced and the system relearned.
Do i need to change both the Passlock cylinder and key? or can i get a new key?
The key is not the problem, it is the cylinder. You can use your old key if it looks in good shape.
OK cool, thank you.
2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Can i take my Passlock out? bypass it? The car has not cranked for a full minute since 12/24/201.
Anything is possible, but we don’t recommend or tell you how to bypass factory security systems in this chat. You should get the problem fixed, it’s probably a faulty ignition cylinder/Passlock sensor.
Question…9-10, is it the ignition cylinder? The security has the car locked. Is this a common problem in Chevy cars? Do i have to take it to GM to have it fixed b/c its not pulling any codes.
Most of the time it is the cylinder causing the problem, probably 99% of the time. You don’t necessarily have to take it to a GM dealer to get it replaced, but it does need programming which is easier and faster at a dealership. Also, you’re probably not pulling any codes because the scanner you are using doesn’t communicate with the body control module which controls the theft deterrent.
OK. wow! you know i’ve spent soo much money trying to fix this issue and no one i’ve taken the car too has told me this. I had to google to get an idea of whats wrong with my car. Thank you for your help. I’m going to bite the bullet and take it to GM…DANG!
Glad to help!
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. My car wouldn’t start when I turned the key in the ignition switch. So I checked my fuses and my crank fuse was blown. Then I changed my crank fuse and the car started right up and after 5 minutes the fuse blew again.
You probably have a short inside the starter assembly or the wiring going to the starter. Sometimes even a bad ignition switch or relay can pop that fuse, too. It would take some looking into, and eliminating things as you go along. The most common thing would be a problem with the starter itself. You may want to get it checked by a technician.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 1995 Pontiac Bonneville Will Not Crank Over Live Chat: I have a Pontiac Bonneville that will not start. What year? What happens when you turn the key? Does it...
- Pontiac Brake Fluid Leak Repair And Diagnosis We bought a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with 81,000 miles on it less than a week ago. The brakes have gone out. At first ...
- Cost To Replace Buick 3800 Crank Position Sensor Hello? I have 2001 Buick LeSabre. I want to replace the crankshaft position sensor. Do you know how much does it cost in...
- 2006 Chevy Silverado Transmission and Heater Problems Hi I just had a rebuild transmission put in my 06 Chevy Silverado truck. It ran fine for a couple of day now it doesn't ...
- How To Remove Chevy Venture Transmission and Spark Plugs I have a 2002 Chevy Venture AWD and I'm trying to separate the bell housing from the engine while the engine is in the v...
- How To Replace 2006 Chevrolet Silverado Radio Antenna How do I change radio antenna in my 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. Well, since you weren't more specific, I'm going to ass...