Hey, I have a 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo. My security has locked the car up. do i have to take the car to GM to get a Passlock reset or can i do it myself?
Is it physically locked and wont turn, or does it turn and the car won’t start?
OK. The most common problem with this is the key cylinder. It is also known as the Passlock Cylinder. A new one would need to be coded to your key, then replaced and the system relearned.
Do i need to change both the Passlock cylinder and key? or can i get a new key?
The key is not the problem, it is the cylinder. You can use your old key if it looks in good shape.
OK cool, thank you.
2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Can i take my Passlock out? bypass it? The car has not cranked for a full minute since 12/24/201.
Anything is possible, but we don’t recommend or tell you how to bypass factory security systems in this chat. You should get the problem fixed, it’s probably a faulty ignition cylinder/Passlock sensor.
Question…9-10, is it the ignition cylinder? The security has the car locked. Is this a common problem in Chevy cars? Do i have to take it to GM to have it fixed b/c its not pulling any codes.
Most of the time it is the cylinder causing the problem, probably 99% of the time. You don’t necessarily have to take it to a GM dealer to get it replaced, but it does need programming which is easier and faster at a dealership. Also, you’re probably not pulling any codes because the scanner you are using doesn’t communicate with the body control module which controls the theft deterrent.
OK. wow! you know i’ve spent soo much money trying to fix this issue and no one i’ve taken the car too has told me this. I had to google to get an idea of whats wrong with my car. Thank you for your help. I’m going to bite the bullet and take it to GM…DANG!
Glad to help!
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. My car wouldn’t start when I turned the key in the ignition switch. So I checked my fuses and my crank fuse was blown. Then I changed my crank fuse and the car started right up and after 5 minutes the fuse blew again.
You probably have a short inside the starter assembly or the wiring going to the starter. Sometimes even a bad ignition switch or relay can pop that fuse, too. It would take some looking into, and eliminating things as you go along. The most common thing would be a problem with the starter itself. You may want to get it checked by a technician.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Chevy Silverado Engine Ticking Noise I've heard many complaints from customers, in person and online, about a ticking-type noise coming from the engine on th...
- My Dodge Is Knocking - Intrepid Transmission Problem - Neon Smokes Dodge Engine Knocking Live Chat: I need help on a 318 that started knocking, then I shut it. Off then pulled the pl...
- 1999 Chevy Silverado Hard Time Starting I have a 1999 Chevy Silverado with 5.3 It is hard starting and has a miss at low RPM around 1500 and then it clears up w...
- Ford Taurus Used Car Transmission Failure So my shop took in several Ford Taurus vehicles for our used car stock. I was to inspect and re-condition them before th...
- High Beam Indicator On The Dash Of My GMC 2500 Why is the high beam light on in the dash of my 2004 GMC 2500 pick up when the truck is off and the high beam lever is o...
- Do I Need New Brakes On My Car? This article might be a bit related to the rant and raves article I posted a while back. I'm writing this after working ...