Hey, I have a 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo. My security has locked the car up. do i have to take the car to GM to get a Passlock reset or can i do it myself?
Is it physically locked and wont turn, or does it turn and the car won’t start?
OK. The most common problem with this is the key cylinder. It is also known as the Passlock Cylinder. A new one would need to be coded to your key, then replaced and the system relearned.
Do i need to change both the Passlock cylinder and key? or can i get a new key?
The key is not the problem, it is the cylinder. You can use your old key if it looks in good shape.
OK cool, thank you.
2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Can i take my Passlock out? bypass it? The car has not cranked for a full minute since 12/24/201.
Anything is possible, but we don’t recommend or tell you how to bypass factory security systems in this chat. You should get the problem fixed, it’s probably a faulty ignition cylinder/Passlock sensor.
Question…9-10, is it the ignition cylinder? The security has the car locked. Is this a common problem in Chevy cars? Do i have to take it to GM to have it fixed b/c its not pulling any codes.
Most of the time it is the cylinder causing the problem, probably 99% of the time. You don’t necessarily have to take it to a GM dealer to get it replaced, but it does need programming which is easier and faster at a dealership. Also, you’re probably not pulling any codes because the scanner you are using doesn’t communicate with the body control module which controls the theft deterrent.
OK. wow! you know i’ve spent soo much money trying to fix this issue and no one i’ve taken the car too has told me this. I had to google to get an idea of whats wrong with my car. Thank you for your help. I’m going to bite the bullet and take it to GM…DANG!
Glad to help!
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. My car wouldn’t start when I turned the key in the ignition switch. So I checked my fuses and my crank fuse was blown. Then I changed my crank fuse and the car started right up and after 5 minutes the fuse blew again.
You probably have a short inside the starter assembly or the wiring going to the starter. Sometimes even a bad ignition switch or relay can pop that fuse, too. It would take some looking into, and eliminating things as you go along. The most common thing would be a problem with the starter itself. You may want to get it checked by a technician.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 2002 Buick Rendezvous Battery Has No Power and Won't Start I have a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. Yesterday it wouldn't start, no power to anything. Charged the battery and it started an...
- 1997 Chevy S-10 Keeps Blowing Ignition Fuse Have a 1997 Chevy s10 p/u that keeps blowing #10 fuse. Key in on position its OK, but as soon as turn key to start it bl...
- How To Replace Pontiac Grand Prix Ignition Cylinder My 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix se ignition went out of it. The key has the chip in it. I cant lock my car anyhow. So wondere...
- Rear Brakes Noisy But No Money To Fix Car A customer came in with a complaint of his brakes making a grinding sound on his car. He said that it just started. We g...
- 1996 Pontiac Grand Am Gauges Problem I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am, the car starts then dies. There is no power to the gauge cluster and the radio wont come...
- 1999 Buick Park Avenue Vents - Cadillac Traction Light Problems Buick Park Avenue has no heat from the heater. OK. Have you checked the coolant level in the radiator? Yes. radiat...