2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Security Light and Won’t Start
Hey, I have a 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo. My security has locked the car up. do i have to take the car to GM to get a Passlock reset or can i do it myself?
Is it physically locked and wont turn, or does it turn and the car won’t start?
OK. The most common problem with this is the key cylinder. It is also known as the Passlock Cylinder. A new one would need to be coded to your key, then replaced and the system relearned.
Do i need to change both the Passlock cylinder and key? or can i get a new key?
The key is not the problem, it is the cylinder. You can use your old key if it looks in good shape.
OK cool, thank you.
2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Can i take my Passlock out? bypass it? The car has not cranked for a full minute since 12/24/201.
Anything is possible, but we don’t recommend or tell you how to bypass factory security systems in this chat. You should get the problem fixed, it’s probably a faulty ignition cylinder/Passlock sensor.
Question…9-10, is it the ignition cylinder? The security has the car locked. Is this a common problem in Chevy cars? Do i have to take it to GM to have it fixed b/c its not pulling any codes.
Most of the time it is the cylinder causing the problem, probably 99% of the time. You don’t necessarily have to take it to a GM dealer to get it replaced, but it does need programming which is easier and faster at a dealership. Also, you’re probably not pulling any codes because the scanner you are using doesn’t communicate with the body control module which controls the theft deterrent.
OK. wow! you know i’ve spent soo much money trying to fix this issue and no one i’ve taken the car too has told me this. I had to google to get an idea of whats wrong with my car. Thank you for your help. I’m going to bite the bullet and take it to GM…DANG!
Glad to help!
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. My car wouldn’t start when I turned the key in the ignition switch. So I checked my fuses and my crank fuse was blown. Then I changed my crank fuse and the car started right up and after 5 minutes the fuse blew again.
You probably have a short inside the starter assembly or the wiring going to the starter. Sometimes even a bad ignition switch or relay can pop that fuse, too. It would take some looking into, and eliminating things as you go along. The most common thing would be a problem with the starter itself. You may want to get it checked by a technician.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 1996 Buick Riviera 3.8L Hesitation and Engine Light I have a 1996 Buick Riviera Supercharged/3.8L V6. Engine hesitates around 1800 RPM'S & then accelerates fine. I have replaced the following: Fuel Pressure Regulator, air filter...
- 2015 Nissan Sentra SV review notes: Underwhelming family sedan he Sentra and I didn't get off on the right foot.I was supposed to pick the car up at the airport --
- 2002 Chevy Impala ABS and Traction System I keep getting the Service Traction System light on my 2002 Chevrolet Impala and when that light comes on so does the ABS light. And naturally the light that says Traction System i...
- 2006 Chevy Equinox Temp Gauge and Trailblazer Heater Core 2006 Chevrolet EQUINOX ... AFTER A COOLANT SYTEM FLUSH MY TEMP GAUGE SHOWS A COOLER TEMPSERATURE THAN USUAL..CHECK ENGINE LIGHT HAS COME ON...OTHER THAN THAT CAR RUNS FINE ? ANY ID...
- 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix Catalytic Converter I/M Flag Not Ready 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix with a "2" motor will not go "Ready" with the catalytic converter test for I/M testing. I went in the service manual and did the testing for P0420 where you...
- After Replacing Oxygen Sensors And Throttle- Truck Has High Idle I have a 2000 Ford F-150 4.2 ltr v6 2wd. It was throwing codes p0171 and p0174. I changed the upstream o2 sensors and the MAF. Took it back to Autozone to check the codes one more ...