2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Security Light and Won’t Start
Hey, I have a 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo. My security has locked the car up. do i have to take the car to GM to get a Passlock reset or can i do it myself?
Is it physically locked and wont turn, or does it turn and the car won’t start?
OK. The most common problem with this is the key cylinder. It is also known as the Passlock Cylinder. A new one would need to be coded to your key, then replaced and the system relearned.
Do i need to change both the Passlock cylinder and key? or can i get a new key?
The key is not the problem, it is the cylinder. You can use your old key if it looks in good shape.
OK cool, thank you.
2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Can i take my Passlock out? bypass it? The car has not cranked for a full minute since 12/24/201.
Anything is possible, but we don’t recommend or tell you how to bypass factory security systems in this chat. You should get the problem fixed, it’s probably a faulty ignition cylinder/Passlock sensor.
Question…9-10, is it the ignition cylinder? The security has the car locked. Is this a common problem in Chevy cars? Do i have to take it to GM to have it fixed b/c its not pulling any codes.
Most of the time it is the cylinder causing the problem, probably 99% of the time. You don’t necessarily have to take it to a GM dealer to get it replaced, but it does need programming which is easier and faster at a dealership. Also, you’re probably not pulling any codes because the scanner you are using doesn’t communicate with the body control module which controls the theft deterrent.
OK. wow! you know i’ve spent soo much money trying to fix this issue and no one i’ve taken the car too has told me this. I had to google to get an idea of whats wrong with my car. Thank you for your help. I’m going to bite the bullet and take it to GM…DANG!
Glad to help!
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. My car wouldn’t start when I turned the key in the ignition switch. So I checked my fuses and my crank fuse was blown. Then I changed my crank fuse and the car started right up and after 5 minutes the fuse blew again.
You probably have a short inside the starter assembly or the wiring going to the starter. Sometimes even a bad ignition switch or relay can pop that fuse, too. It would take some looking into, and eliminating things as you go along. The most common thing would be a problem with the starter itself. You may want to get it checked by a technician.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Some Blower Motor Fan Speeds Not Working This one has been a big issue over the years. Many, many times a car or truck will come into the shop with the customer complaining that their blower motor doesn't work, or only wo...
- 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Security Light and Won't Start Hey, I have a 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo. My security has locked the car up. do i have to take the car to GM to get a Passlock reset or can i do it myself? Mechanic JK Is it physic...
- How To Replace Pontiac Grand Prix Ignition Cylinder My 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix se ignition went out of it. The key has the chip in it. I cant lock my car anyhow. So wondered if i could replace that ignition with a regular ignition w...
- 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Transmission Or Catalytic Converter I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix. Over the last few weeks i have had trouble with the can being jerky while accelerating also i tends to do this more the warmer the car gets ie: ru...
- 1990 Cadillac Battery Goes Dead Overnight and Won't Start 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood. The car won't start due to dead battery after about 12 hours. I have had the battery and alternator tested, and they tested OK. There must be a power draw ...
- 1996 Pontiac Grand Am Code P0171 and EGR HI,I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand am that has two codes P0401 and P0171 can the two be relayed I know one is EGR flow insufficient and the other is fuel system lean. do you think the ...