2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Security Light and Won’t Start
Hey, I have a 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo. My security has locked the car up. do i have to take the car to GM to get a Passlock reset or can i do it myself?
Is it physically locked and wont turn, or does it turn and the car won’t start?
OK. The most common problem with this is the key cylinder. It is also known as the Passlock Cylinder. A new one would need to be coded to your key, then replaced and the system relearned.
Do i need to change both the Passlock cylinder and key? or can i get a new key?
The key is not the problem, it is the cylinder. You can use your old key if it looks in good shape.
OK cool, thank you.
2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Can i take my Passlock out? bypass it? The car has not cranked for a full minute since 12/24/201.
Anything is possible, but we don’t recommend or tell you how to bypass factory security systems in this chat. You should get the problem fixed, it’s probably a faulty ignition cylinder/Passlock sensor.
Question…9-10, is it the ignition cylinder? The security has the car locked. Is this a common problem in Chevy cars? Do i have to take it to GM to have it fixed b/c its not pulling any codes.
Most of the time it is the cylinder causing the problem, probably 99% of the time. You don’t necessarily have to take it to a GM dealer to get it replaced, but it does need programming which is easier and faster at a dealership. Also, you’re probably not pulling any codes because the scanner you are using doesn’t communicate with the body control module which controls the theft deterrent.
OK. wow! you know i’ve spent soo much money trying to fix this issue and no one i’ve taken the car too has told me this. I had to google to get an idea of whats wrong with my car. Thank you for your help. I’m going to bite the bullet and take it to GM…DANG!
Glad to help!
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. My car wouldn’t start when I turned the key in the ignition switch. So I checked my fuses and my crank fuse was blown. Then I changed my crank fuse and the car started right up and after 5 minutes the fuse blew again.
You probably have a short inside the starter assembly or the wiring going to the starter. Sometimes even a bad ignition switch or relay can pop that fuse, too. It would take some looking into, and eliminating things as you go along. The most common thing would be a problem with the starter itself. You may want to get it checked by a technician.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Power Steering Fluid Contaminated With Engine Oil Ok ..so not all my buddies are all that hip on actual GUY stuff!! I check my fluids, pressure, heater hoses, tires…blah blah. ”Everyday” (well morning). So I'm in a hurry and ask a...
- 2002 Pontiac Grand Am Hard Starting When Hot I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am with a 3.4 liter v6. When the car is cold it will start fairly quickly but when it reaches operating temp or sits in warm sun or high ambient temps i...
- 2002 Oldsmobile Alero Marker Lamps Stay On I need help with LED bulbs on my 2002 Oldsmobile Alero. ProTech: Yes, go ahead. What make and model vehicle do you have? Was this from some sort of conversion kit with instruct...
- Should I Use Factory Repacement Parts in my Car? A lot of people are under the assumption that parts are parts, and getting the lowest price on a certain part for your vehicle is key in deciding what or where to buy. This is abou...
- 2004 Chevy Impala Engine Misfire Code P0302 I was getting a P0302 indicator code for # 2 spark plug. I changed the wire and it went out,however when I got up to 35 mph the check engine light would flash until I got below 35 ...
- Can't Shift Into Gear on My 2000 Dodge Truck I have a 2000 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel and its been sitting for awhile. it got moved about thirty yards away but anyway now it wont shift into any gears. it feels like the lever i...