Hey, I have a 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo. My security has locked the car up. do i have to take the car to GM to get a Passlock reset or can i do it myself?
Is it physically locked and wont turn, or does it turn and the car won’t start?
OK. The most common problem with this is the key cylinder. It is also known as the Passlock Cylinder. A new one would need to be coded to your key, then replaced and the system relearned.
Do i need to change both the Passlock cylinder and key? or can i get a new key?
The key is not the problem, it is the cylinder. You can use your old key if it looks in good shape.
OK cool, thank you.
2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Can i take my Passlock out? bypass it? The car has not cranked for a full minute since 12/24/201.
Anything is possible, but we don’t recommend or tell you how to bypass factory security systems in this chat. You should get the problem fixed, it’s probably a faulty ignition cylinder/Passlock sensor.
Question…9-10, is it the ignition cylinder? The security has the car locked. Is this a common problem in Chevy cars? Do i have to take it to GM to have it fixed b/c its not pulling any codes.
Most of the time it is the cylinder causing the problem, probably 99% of the time. You don’t necessarily have to take it to a GM dealer to get it replaced, but it does need programming which is easier and faster at a dealership. Also, you’re probably not pulling any codes because the scanner you are using doesn’t communicate with the body control module which controls the theft deterrent.
OK. wow! you know i’ve spent soo much money trying to fix this issue and no one i’ve taken the car too has told me this. I had to google to get an idea of whats wrong with my car. Thank you for your help. I’m going to bite the bullet and take it to GM…DANG!
Glad to help!
2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. My car wouldn’t start when I turned the key in the ignition switch. So I checked my fuses and my crank fuse was blown. Then I changed my crank fuse and the car started right up and after 5 minutes the fuse blew again.
You probably have a short inside the starter assembly or the wiring going to the starter. Sometimes even a bad ignition switch or relay can pop that fuse, too. It would take some looking into, and eliminating things as you go along. The most common thing would be a problem with the starter itself. You may want to get it checked by a technician.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 1996 Dodge Dakota Speedometer Not Registering I have a 1996 Dodge Dakota and my speedometer isn't registering. I've replaced the speed sensor and it still doesn't reg...
- 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco Video And Review The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu is the forth generation of redesign since they brought back the Malibu nameplate in 1997. This...
- Dodge Van Engine Goes To Hot Mark On Gauge Engine gets hot. Gauge goes to the hot line. Radiator and top hose not getting hot, but top hose feels under pressure an...
- 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe Hub And Shock Replacement Hi i have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe LT 4×4 with auto ride. I was told i need new drivers side front bearing. Should I replace b...
- Can I Replace The Fuel Sender Without Removing The Tank? How do I replace the Fuel Gauge Sensor in a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix? ProTech: You have to remove the gas tank and fu...
- 1998 Chevrolet Silverado Stalls When Hitting Brakes When i apply the brake it kills the motor on my 1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7 liter .i just changed the gas tank,fuel pump, a...