2001 Chevrolet Silverado Cranks But Will Not Start
Sorry, it’s a Silverado. No lights, and the diagnostic tool shows nothing.
OK. Most likely not the fuel pump. If a new one made no change, then highly unlikely. Have you checked for spark at the plugs?
No…I replaced the fuel filter. My buddy said to spray gas in the throttle body to see if it would start, it doesn’t.
That quick test is to see if the engine is getting fuel. If it was not, and you spray in the throttle then it starts, that shows there was no fuel getting it. Since yours did not start, then you either have no spark, or the injectors are not firing.
How do I check those?
Pull a plug wire off and stick a small screwdriver in it, then place the screwdriver about an inch from a metal object. While cranking engine you should see the spark jump. For the injectors, you need a test light. Unplug an injector and put the test light leads on the connector terminals. Crank engine and the light should flash. There is a special test light light you can buy at any parts store called a “Noid” light.
Okay, so it is most likely not the fuel system? Could it be a sensor that is out?
Does not sound like a fuel pump. To be sure you would need a fuel pressure tester, but it really does not sound like it. Again as I asked about any warning lights- if the security light were flashing, then that would be your problem. You could possibly have a bad crank position sensor. That would cause no spark and no fuel injector pulse.
The security light always flashes, always has. How do I check that sensor? Could it be the timing belt?
A scanner. As for the timing chain, anything is possible, but you need to check the basics first. Broken timing chains are not common at all.
Okay, the scanner you speak of would be the thing you plug into the computer and it gives you a code?
I have one and it gave me no codes.
Then not a security system problem.
Okay, so it is either the spark plugs or the injectors?
Either no spark to the plugs, or no injectors firing. After you determine which one, then you need to figure out why. Check all the fuses first.
There is spark at plugs and fuel at the fuel rail.
OK. Are the injectors firing? What is the fuel pressure?
I have to go buy the noid light and I guess get a pressure checker. Do I need to check all the spark plugs? And which fuse box do I check, the one under the hood or the one in the cab, or both?
Best to check a few. Two on each side is usually sufficient. Check both fuse boxes- all fuses.
ok…I will do that. Thank you.
Chevy 2500hd with 6.6 Duramax
I mounted a rock guard to protect my fifth wheel. Mechanic says this caused catalytic converter to fail. It mounts on the reciever hitch about 18 inches from the muffler. Could this have been the cause?
That sure does not sound like it would have anything to do witht the catalytic converter going bad.
What year is your truck. How many miles on it?
2011. 43000 miles.
Well, then that is still under the factory warranty. Was this a dealer mechanic?
Yes to both.
how close would it have to be to cause a problem?
Seems very odd a dealer Tech would say that. To damage the converter, it would have to be restricting the exhaust in some way. I would try another dealer.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 1999 Cadillac Escalade Bucks And Hard To Start I HAVE A 1999 Cadillac ESCALADE WITH A 5.7 VORTEC AND IT PULSES OR BUCKS AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS AND IT ALSO DOES NOT START VERY WELL EVER. It cranks too long before it will fire up. Tru...
- 2001 Chevrolet Suburban ABS Activation My 2001 Chevrolet Suburban has the ABS brakes kick on when I come to a stop...most of the time. I have been told abs speed sensors or EBCM module. My ABS and brake lights don't wor...
- 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Check Engine Light Flashing And BCM Replacement I have a Chevy Malibu 1999, my ignition coil is misfiring I am pretty sure because it rained pretty hard last night. My check engine light will flash and my car will start chugging...
- Chevrolet Camaro Engine Light And Lean Codes So, today I had an older model Camaro, 2001, high mileage, and not very well maintained. It came in with the check engine light on, and had codes stored for the fuel trim being le...
- 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Has A Very High Idle 2002 Chevy Malibu w/3.4L idles @3,000 rpm. The TPS, PCV, fuel filter, fuel pump assembly, and charcoal canister was replaced after vacuum hoses were repaired. What else could cause...
- Video And Review Of The 2012 Toyota Camry Anyone who has owned a Toyota Camry before will not be disappointed with the 2012 model. It lives up to the quality expected by this top selling car. Estimated price is between $21...