1994 Ford F-250 Engine Light and Idle Problem
My 1994 Ford F-250 with a 5.8 Gas engine refuses to idle below 1500rpm. Is this a common problem in older engines and what might be causing the problem? I have a 15gpm hydraulic pump attached on a clutch pump, but the over revving is a fairly recent problem.
Yes to the check engine light, though not every day. Also a recent occurrence but both did not occur at the same time.
I’d definitely get it scanned. Knowing the trouble code will probably help in diagnosing the high idle. You could have a bad throttle position sensor or something related.
Agreed. Would the diameter of the main vacuum line affect the vacuum pressure? That seemed to be the start of the high idle situation. The replacement line was not an exact match.
It should not make a difference unless it affects the way it fits, such as causing a leak.
Many thanks ProTech. Can I ask an unrelated question?
What do you call the idler on the upper left ( as you face the engine) side of a GMC v8 Vortec engine. I need to replace one.
What year and what size V8?
2006 6.0L GMC Sierra 3500 series.
OK, as you face the engine, the uppermost left pulley is called the tensioner. It keeps the tension on the belt as it rotates. It’s very easy to replace.
Agreed. Auto parts store would recognize it as a ” tensioner” pulley or is there a specific name? Have replaced similar tensioners on my ’94 Ford.
yes, you just need to ask for a belt tensioner and they should know what you mean. Make sure you say the ‘main’ drive belt tensioner, as there is another smaller belt and separate tensioner for the A/C compressor.
Many thanks. Do you know if the pulley and bearing come as a separate part of the assembly or do I need to replace the whole thing?
It will come as a complete unit, not in separate pieces.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 2007 Chevy Equinox Freon Pressure Problem 2007 Chevy Equinox: HVAC A/C- 1) A/C on/off button not functioning, press to off and system still running as A/C, toggling/pressing repeatedly still no change 2) system ices up (...
- Chevrolet Traverse And GMC Timing Chains Replacement A big thing we've seen a lot of over the past year or so, has been timing chain problems on the Chevy Traverse, Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia, and Buick Enclave. All of these SUV's ha...
- 1999 Silverado Security Light and Won't Start I have a Chevy Silverado 1999 turns over but no fuel and no spark changed fuel pump cam sensor Crankshaft sensor still nothing some one told me I need to have my key reprogrammed. ...
- 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Check Engine Light I recently replaced my EGR valve because the check engine light code came up on my car, along with that I also had to replace my catalytic convertor, from what the mechanic I went ...
- 1997 Chevy S-10 Keeps Blowing Ignition Fuse Have a 1997 Chevy s10 p/u that keeps blowing #10 fuse. Key in on position its OK, but as soon as turn key to start it blows fuse ProTech: Do you know what circuits are on the f...
- 1998 Honda Civic Runs Bad- Code P0172 Fuel Trim Rich Bank 1 Live Chat: 1998 Honda Civic LX D16Y7 195k Automatic. Initially had a rough/surging idle problem, cleaned throttle body, injectors are good, new spark plugs, IAC valve good. Car idl...