My 1994 Ford F-250 with a 5.8 Gas engine refuses to idle below 1500rpm. Is this a common problem in older engines and what might be causing the problem? I have a 15gpm hydraulic pump attached on a clutch pump, but the over revving is a fairly recent problem.
Yes to the check engine light, though not every day. Also a recent occurrence but both did not occur at the same time.
I’d definitely get it scanned. Knowing the trouble code will probably help in diagnosing the high idle. You could have a bad throttle position sensor or something related.
Agreed. Would the diameter of the main vacuum line affect the vacuum pressure? That seemed to be the start of the high idle situation. The replacement line was not an exact match.
It should not make a difference unless it affects the way it fits, such as causing a leak.
Many thanks ProTech. Can I ask an unrelated question?
What do you call the idler on the upper left ( as you face the engine) side of a GMC v8 Vortec engine. I need to replace one.
What year and what size V8?
2006 6.0L GMC Sierra 3500 series.
OK, as you face the engine, the uppermost left pulley is called the tensioner. It keeps the tension on the belt as it rotates. It’s very easy to replace.
Agreed. Auto parts store would recognize it as a ” tensioner” pulley or is there a specific name? Have replaced similar tensioners on my ’94 Ford.
yes, you just need to ask for a belt tensioner and they should know what you mean. Make sure you say the ‘main’ drive belt tensioner, as there is another smaller belt and separate tensioner for the A/C compressor.
Many thanks. Do you know if the pulley and bearing come as a separate part of the assembly or do I need to replace the whole thing?
It will come as a complete unit, not in separate pieces.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Chevy Lumina Backfires And Hard Starting I have a Chevy Lumina APV and I am not sure as to where the ground wire is located? Also I am having issues trying to fi...
- 2003 Chevy Trailblazer No Engine Power I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer with 146,00 miles on it, the problem is lack of engine power, I put the scanner and it s...
- 2005 Chevy Impala Drivers Door Won't Open I have a 2005 Impala four door. I have to pull down on the drivers door to open it. Can you tell me how to adjust it? I ...
- Battery Failure Causes In Cars and Trucks Here's an interesting article on something that just happened to me and my family this past weekend. I get customers all...
- How To Install Buick Century Power Steering Pump I have a 2004 Buick Century and I need to see a picture of how the power steering sits. My nephew tore apart the engine....
- 1995 Buick Regal Rough Idle I have a 1995 Buick Regal. All of a sudden it seems to load up on fuel rough idle, have put new fuel pump in and didn't ...