My 1994 Ford F-250 with a 5.8 Gas engine refuses to idle below 1500rpm. Is this a common problem in older engines and what might be causing the problem? I have a 15gpm hydraulic pump attached on a clutch pump, but the over revving is a fairly recent problem.
Yes to the check engine light, though not every day. Also a recent occurrence but both did not occur at the same time.
I’d definitely get it scanned. Knowing the trouble code will probably help in diagnosing the high idle. You could have a bad throttle position sensor or something related.
Agreed. Would the diameter of the main vacuum line affect the vacuum pressure? That seemed to be the start of the high idle situation. The replacement line was not an exact match.
It should not make a difference unless it affects the way it fits, such as causing a leak.
Many thanks ProTech. Can I ask an unrelated question?
What do you call the idler on the upper left ( as you face the engine) side of a GMC v8 Vortec engine. I need to replace one.
What year and what size V8?
2006 6.0L GMC Sierra 3500 series.
OK, as you face the engine, the uppermost left pulley is called the tensioner. It keeps the tension on the belt as it rotates. It’s very easy to replace.
Agreed. Auto parts store would recognize it as a ” tensioner” pulley or is there a specific name? Have replaced similar tensioners on my ’94 Ford.
yes, you just need to ask for a belt tensioner and they should know what you mean. Make sure you say the ‘main’ drive belt tensioner, as there is another smaller belt and separate tensioner for the A/C compressor.
Many thanks. Do you know if the pulley and bearing come as a separate part of the assembly or do I need to replace the whole thing?
It will come as a complete unit, not in separate pieces.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 1997 GMC Sierra Engine Light And Idle Surge MY 1997 GMC SIERRA W/350 V8 HAS A DEAD CYLINDER ON #4. SPARK PLUG IS GOOD, WIRE IS GOOD DISTRIBUTOR CAP IS GOOD. WHAT EL...
- 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Check Engine Light I recently replaced my EGR valve because the check engine light code came up on my car, along with that I also had to re...
- 2000 Chevy Venture Van Doors Won't Unlock I have 2000 Venture LS with 3400. I am starting to have problems with both rear doors (1 powered and 1 not), the doors w...
- Jeep ABS And Rear Brake Lights Problems I was driving with my emergency brakes up and my ABS light came on. I checked and my brakes fluid was low I put some in ...
- 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Trac Off and Engine Light Well my car is dead and it won't start. The Trac off light came on and the check engine light and the battery light and ...
- 1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass Engine Light and Transmission Problems Hey I have 1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass 3.1 liter vin J motor. When I go to accelerate up a hill the car kicks in out of over...