1994 Ford F-250 Engine Light and Idle Problem
My 1994 Ford F-250 with a 5.8 Gas engine refuses to idle below 1500rpm. Is this a common problem in older engines and what might be causing the problem? I have a 15gpm hydraulic pump attached on a clutch pump, but the over revving is a fairly recent problem.
Yes to the check engine light, though not every day. Also a recent occurrence but both did not occur at the same time.
I’d definitely get it scanned. Knowing the trouble code will probably help in diagnosing the high idle. You could have a bad throttle position sensor or something related.
Agreed. Would the diameter of the main vacuum line affect the vacuum pressure? That seemed to be the start of the high idle situation. The replacement line was not an exact match.
It should not make a difference unless it affects the way it fits, such as causing a leak.
Many thanks ProTech. Can I ask an unrelated question?
What do you call the idler on the upper left ( as you face the engine) side of a GMC v8 Vortec engine. I need to replace one.
What year and what size V8?
2006 6.0L GMC Sierra 3500 series.
OK, as you face the engine, the uppermost left pulley is called the tensioner. It keeps the tension on the belt as it rotates. It’s very easy to replace.
Agreed. Auto parts store would recognize it as a ” tensioner” pulley or is there a specific name? Have replaced similar tensioners on my ’94 Ford.
yes, you just need to ask for a belt tensioner and they should know what you mean. Make sure you say the ‘main’ drive belt tensioner, as there is another smaller belt and separate tensioner for the A/C compressor.
Many thanks. Do you know if the pulley and bearing come as a separate part of the assembly or do I need to replace the whole thing?
It will come as a complete unit, not in separate pieces.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 2016 Volkswagen Passat first drive hat is it?The 2016 Passat marks a midcycle refresh for the Chattanooga-built sedan, one that brings an ever-so-slightly resculpted exterior and an equipment update to
- Where Is The Coolant Temp Sensor Located? Where is the Coolant temperature sensor located at on a 1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette? ProTech: It is located on the left side of the front cylinder head on the intake. ok if t...
- 2004 Chevrolet Suburban Service Stability Light Wondering if you knew what the code co455 for a 2004 Suburban. Protech: That code is for the steering wheel position sensor. Usually those need replacement when this code occur...
- Chevy Corvette Engine Overheating Problems Last week I got to work on a Chevrolet Corvette that had an overheating problem. This was no ordinary Corvette though, it was a Supercharged Callaway Corvette! Let's just say it's ...
- How To Change Belt - Interior Light Stay On What do I need to take loose to change a serpentine belt on a 1997 Oldsmobile Achieva. ProTech: Which engine do you have? 2.4L four cylinder. The 2.4 engines are relative...
- Long-term wrapup: 2015 BMW M3 BMWs are really good at long hauls, so when the mission was to cart 400 pounds