My 1994 Ford F-250 with a 5.8 Gas engine refuses to idle below 1500rpm. Is this a common problem in older engines and what might be causing the problem? I have a 15gpm hydraulic pump attached on a clutch pump, but the over revving is a fairly recent problem.
Yes to the check engine light, though not every day. Also a recent occurrence but both did not occur at the same time.
I’d definitely get it scanned. Knowing the trouble code will probably help in diagnosing the high idle. You could have a bad throttle position sensor or something related.
Agreed. Would the diameter of the main vacuum line affect the vacuum pressure? That seemed to be the start of the high idle situation. The replacement line was not an exact match.
It should not make a difference unless it affects the way it fits, such as causing a leak.
Many thanks ProTech. Can I ask an unrelated question?
What do you call the idler on the upper left ( as you face the engine) side of a GMC v8 Vortec engine. I need to replace one.
What year and what size V8?
2006 6.0L GMC Sierra 3500 series.
OK, as you face the engine, the uppermost left pulley is called the tensioner. It keeps the tension on the belt as it rotates. It’s very easy to replace.
Agreed. Auto parts store would recognize it as a ” tensioner” pulley or is there a specific name? Have replaced similar tensioners on my ’94 Ford.
yes, you just need to ask for a belt tensioner and they should know what you mean. Make sure you say the ‘main’ drive belt tensioner, as there is another smaller belt and separate tensioner for the A/C compressor.
Many thanks. Do you know if the pulley and bearing come as a separate part of the assembly or do I need to replace the whole thing?
It will come as a complete unit, not in separate pieces.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Acura Integra Low Oil Pressure Warning Light On Live Chat: I HAVE A 1992 ACURA INTEGRA AND MY OIL LIGHT SEEMS TO BE FLASHING. I HAVE CHECKED MY PRESSURE, I HAVE REPLACE...
- 1995 Buick Lesabre Is Loosing Engine Power I have a 1995 Buick Lesabre and its cutting all power sometimes when turning and at a little incline. Protech: Cutti...
- Reduced Engine Power Warning And Check Engine Light The reduced engine power warning message can come on your car or truck. Today's vehicles are for the most part completel...
- 2011 Chevy Equinox Engine Light Recall Lately at the shop we've seen quite a few newer Chevrolet Equinox's having some cold start up noise, which is usually ac...
- Security System Preventing My 2001 Chevrolet Impala From Starting I'm having a problem with the passkey lock and VATS security system. It's preventing me from starting the the engine wit...
- 1996 Dodge Dakota Speedometer Not Registering I have a 1996 Dodge Dakota and my speedometer isn't registering. I've replaced the speed sensor and it still doesn't reg...