1994 Ford F-250 Engine Light and Idle Problem
My 1994 Ford F-250 with a 5.8 Gas engine refuses to idle below 1500rpm. Is this a common problem in older engines and what might be causing the problem? I have a 15gpm hydraulic pump attached on a clutch pump, but the over revving is a fairly recent problem.
Yes to the check engine light, though not every day. Also a recent occurrence but both did not occur at the same time.
I’d definitely get it scanned. Knowing the trouble code will probably help in diagnosing the high idle. You could have a bad throttle position sensor or something related.
Agreed. Would the diameter of the main vacuum line affect the vacuum pressure? That seemed to be the start of the high idle situation. The replacement line was not an exact match.
It should not make a difference unless it affects the way it fits, such as causing a leak.
Many thanks ProTech. Can I ask an unrelated question?
What do you call the idler on the upper left ( as you face the engine) side of a GMC v8 Vortec engine. I need to replace one.
What year and what size V8?
2006 6.0L GMC Sierra 3500 series.
OK, as you face the engine, the uppermost left pulley is called the tensioner. It keeps the tension on the belt as it rotates. It’s very easy to replace.
Agreed. Auto parts store would recognize it as a ” tensioner” pulley or is there a specific name? Have replaced similar tensioners on my ’94 Ford.
yes, you just need to ask for a belt tensioner and they should know what you mean. Make sure you say the ‘main’ drive belt tensioner, as there is another smaller belt and separate tensioner for the A/C compressor.
Many thanks. Do you know if the pulley and bearing come as a separate part of the assembly or do I need to replace the whole thing?
It will come as a complete unit, not in separate pieces.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe Hub And Shock Replacement Hi i have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe LT 4×4 with auto ride. I was told i need new drivers side front bearing. Should I replace both front bearings? Also i was told my truck has a full whee...
- 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Overheats and Blown Engine Hello. Wow it's free? Most of these charge money. Yes we are. Well just a few questions...car is a 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass 3.1L 3100. I have a pro GM mechanic of 20 years wor...
- Replace 2000 Chevy Impala Serpentine Belt Having trouble replacing the serpentine belt on my 2000 Chevrolet Impala 3.4L. I've got the right belt, I understand the whole tensioner thing, but the belt seems too big (though i...
- 1992 Toyota Camry Overheats And Dies Out I have a 1992 Toyota Camry 3.0, 5 speed, that has been having issues pretty much since I got the damn thing. It shocks me all the time (like a static electricity shock). The batter...
- 2006 Chevy Malibu Will Crank But Not Start My 2006 Chevy Malibu will crank up, but it will not engage/or turnover until i press the accelerator...once that happens it works out fine...until the next time i crank it up. P...
- Tire Pressure Light Description and Operation Tire Pressure Monitor System Description The tire pressure monitor system was developed many years ago to alert the driver to a tire that is loosing air. As one or more tires los...