Chevy Ignition Timing Vacuum or Spring Advance

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi, I have been looking for a spark plug wire set for my 1985 Chevy RV (454 7.4). When I was asked whether or not it is “Vacume or Spring”. I assume they mean the advance. Under the rotor (I changed out this part) There is a spring operated mechanism that seems to use centrifugal motion. Also, There is the Vacuum disc/bulb, or part that the vacuum hose connects to, right outside of the distributor. Does this engine have both?? In short, my question is whether or not any wire set that is listed for this engine’s requirements will work.

I guess I am not understanding the importance of the difference between Vacuum or Spring advance in a spark plug wire set. I would very much appreciate some enlightenment on this. As long as the wires read On the wires themselves) the same information (8mm) as the old wire set, Does it make a difference whether or not the wires themselves are for Spring or Vacuum advance? (Also just FYI, The engine has electronic ignition.) Thank You Much!

Protech

There are springs on both kinds of advance, mechanical and vacuum. If you have a vacuum unit attached to the bottom/side of the distributor, then you have a VACUUM advance system. Get the wires for that particular set up.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.