Ford Expedition Vibrates at high speeds

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I have a 2006 Ford Expedition. 154,000 miles. The truck when up to high speeds runs and shifts perfectly. Changed the coils and plugs. Trans fluid and oil changed got the catalytic converter checked and it is working just fine. U-joints are good. The symptoms of the truck are- idle is fine but when coming from a stop and going around 30 mph the cars rpms go up and down up and down. Then the Ford starts to vibrate badly and sometimes thought it is sort of mild. Almost as if you are riding on the side of the interstate highway on the ridges that are their to keep truck driver awake. But after I let off the gas it goes away and drive it normal until I go slow then it speeds again. When you dog it everything is fine. The tranny shifts fine and perfect. Just when going slow speed it makes a loud hummm and vibration. I could have swore this was a u joint connected to drive shaft, but went to the repair shop and he says they are fine. Feels like if I get on it and go very fast from get go it don’t happen at all, and can drive it and manipulate it to not vibrate. Sometimes that works. Really need to figure out this problem. Do you think it could be the torque converter or something wrong with the tranny. Thank you.

Amy Musgrove

My truck accelerates to 40-45 without me pressing gas pedal. It also shakes a little on the front end when I slow down.

jake

Depending on what year your truck is, the throttle cable may be binding up. Or there is carbon in the throttle body bore keeping the throttle plate open and letting it go to idle. If it is a newer truck and has electronic drive by wire throttle, you could have a bad throttle position sensor or accelerator pedal sensor.

The shaking when braking is most likely a warped front brake rotor.

jake

test test test

Anonymous
      Inactive

Can the a/c clutch and pulley be removed and replaced without removing the compressor?

RE: Would need to know what engine you have to correctly answer that question. But as a general rule, if you have enough room in front of it to get the proper tools in there to remove it, then yes you can do it without taking it off the truck

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have a 2003 ford Windstar in which i replaced the engine with one out of a 2000 ford Windstar. I am wondering what else i have to change on the van to get it running,like the wiring harness and computer or anything else.

RE: I can’t tell you any specifics on the differences, but obviously if the harness and/or connectors don’t match up, then you’ll have to change the engine harness and computer. If it all matches, you should be good to go. I’m assuming it’s the same size (displacement) engine from both vehicles, otherwise you will run into problems for sure. It may or may not work, I usually do NOT recommend swapping from different year vehicles, it’s too much trouble.

Stan

Shaking and vibrating as you describe is usually caused by an ignition problem. If the coils and plugs did not help, have the plug wires inspected. Spraying water on them and then doing a brake torque may get them to break down and start to misfire. This brake torque- accelerating with foot firmly on brake in drive gear- is also a good way to rule out a drivetrain component such as a trans, u-joint or rear end problem.

If it does not act up like this, then you may have a rear end issue.

My first question would be is the check engine light on? IF so go to autozone and have them read the codes for free. I am not sure how brake torquing it is going to help you but if you indeed have a u joint going bad it might put it over the top to broken and I suppose that would help the problem.

If this shaking and vibrating happens when slowing down then it would not be an ignition problem like a bad spark plug or plug wire. It really does sound like a bad U joint. Especially if you can sort of play with the gas pedal to get it to stop. Putting any sort of a load on the driveshaft by using the gas pedal will cause a U joint to stop vibrating. Try slowing down until the vibration starts and then quickly pop into neutral. If it stops that would really sound like a bad U joint. It could possibly be in the transmission but that would be much harder to diagnose. Let us know what you found with the problem on your Ford truck.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.