Ford rear differential Warranty Question

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I previously posted a question about front end noise that I gave some wrong info on. The noise actually was starting in the rear end but manifesting itself through the front tires.

I took the truck to the local dealer, who diagnosed it as the clutch in the posi rear differential. They fixed the problem and it seems to have taken care of the problem.

I did not get to speak to the tech afterwards and the ticket said “rebuilt the posi rear differential, added 3 qts 75w140 synthetic oil and 2 friction modifiers”. The parts included a spacer, lubricants and sealant.

My question, assuming this was done to the clutch in the rear differential, would this be covered under the drivetrain warranty? The truck has just over 54,000 miles. I tried to look it up in the paperwork but became more confused.

Thanks for all the help.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I just purchased a Ford F150 4×4 with 54,000 miles. When accelerating from a stop, there is a noise that seems to come from the front wheels. It almost seems to be a grinding noise. It also reminds me of transmission slippage but the truck is in 2 wheel drive. It also seems to happen more when the truck is warmed up, and also when I turn a corner from a stop. Any ideas what could cause this? Thanks.

Mechanic Stan

REPLY:

Ya, does sound like one of the front axles or even the front differential. Could also be the transfer case. It may be stuck in, or partially in 4 wheel drive. You can remove the drive shaft between the front diff. and the transfer case and see if the vibration goes away. If it does, then pull the drain plug on the front diff. and see if there is metal in the fluid. If there is, then a repair or replacement would be needed. Some special tools are need to repair that unit.

Protech

I’d say you’ve either got a bad front wheel bearing or the brakes are grinding. Most likely a bearing, the way you describe it. You can check for looseness of either wheel from the bearing area by jacking it up and giving a tug from the top of the wheel and the sides. Getting the front wheels spinning while up in the air may aid in finding which side is bad.

If your truck is a 2007 or newer, I would think it should have been covered under the powertrain warranty, since it’s 5 years or 60,000 miles. If your truck is older, then no, your warranty would have run out at 36,000 miles. Either way, if it was covered the dealer would not have charged you, and I’m assuming you had to pay the bill. If they deemed it was broken from abuse or otherwise, they do not have to cover it under any warranty.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.