1999 Oldsmobile Alero Whistling Noise
I have a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero and it’s making a whistling noise. Sounds like it’s coming from the vacuum pack at the rear end. It will be fine when I first start it but then after about 2 miles of driving it starts making the noise. It will do it no matter if I’m driving or if I’m in park. I don’t know what it is exactly and I was wondering if anyone knows what it could be or if this is a regular problem. Also I drove it the other day and it was fine after about 10 miles, it just seemed to lose power. Let it sit for a little while and it was fine (It didn’t get hot temp was fine) Could this also have something to do with the noise?
Submitted by Cherie
Answer: A whistling noise is usually caused by a vacuum leak. This may cause hard starting, rough or high idle, etc. This would not cause your loss if power problem. That may be caused by a plugged catalytic converter. Sometimes this wil cause a whistling noise since the exhaust is restricted and can not passthrough to the tailpipe easily. The exhaust backs up and can cause this noise. Have the computer scanned for codes, even if the check engine light is not on. There may be codes stored to help in the diagnosis.
2000 Oldsmobile Alero Speedometer Problem
More than likely you left the vehicle speed sensor unplugged on the transmission.
The mechanic says it needs a new cluster but my Dad who is a retired mechanic says if the cluster was bad then none of my gauges would work.
That’s not really true, you can have just one gauge that is faulty on the instrument cluster. But since the problem was after you replaced the engine, it has to be something you did, or forgot, or possibly broke during installation.
I had it done at a shop.
Then it’s something they did. Take it back to them.
2001 Oldsmobile Alero Door Chime
I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero,the door dinger won’t go off when key is pulled out.Replaced the complete ignition switch, still does it. But if the radio is unhooked it goes out, radio works fine and the chime quits when ignition switch is on.
Well the ‘key in ignition’ alarm also goes through the radio and uses the left front speaker to make the ‘ding’ noise. When you unplug the radio, you are killing the circuit to the noise. Did you replace the ignition switch, or the ignition cylinder?
Replaced both of them.
ok that is good to know. Unfortunately, without actually seeing the vehicle, I can only give you options of what it could be. You have a radio that is shorted internally and needs replaced, or possibly a faulty Body Control Module. A bad headlamp switch can cause this as well. You might want to check for any wiring problem under the dash, especially if you have any aftermarket accessories installed such as an alarm or remote start. If you have an aftermarket radio, that would be a problem too. I’d personally lean towards a bad radio, but a good way to check would be to unplug the radio, but jump the ‘key in ignition chime’ wire to bypass the radio and see if it still makes noise.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 1998 Chevrolet Silverado Stalls When Hitting Brakes When i apply the brake it kills the motor on my 1998 Chevy Silverado 5.7 liter .i just changed the gas tank,fuel pump, and,fuel filter. Truck runs great until you apply brake. M...
- Expensive Mechanics Tools Required To Repair Your Vehicle Here's a big one that we as mechanics are always unrecognized for.....our tools! The everyday average person has no idea of the equipment and tools needed these days to repair a ve...
- 1994 Ford F-250 Engine Light and Idle Problem My 1994 Ford F-250 with a 5.8 Gas engine refuses to idle below 1500rpm. Is this a common problem in older engines and what might be causing the problem? I have a 15gpm hydraulic pu...
- GMC Safari Fuel pump vibrating loudly i have a 1996 GMC Safari i changed fuel pump in the tank it worked fine for about 10 miles then it just died while going 30 mph and a loud vibrating sound came from the tank and ca...
- 1998 Lincoln Towncar Trac and ABS Lights On Yes, I have a problem on my 1998 Lincoln Towncar which has the TRAC light and ABS light on and sometimes the air bags won't go up and I found an abs light cable ripped and we taped...
- Spark Plug Stripped In Ford F-150 Cylinder Head Live Chat My 2005 F-150 had a check engine light. I took it to get the computer and emission checked. Autozone scanned it and said it was an engine misfire on cylinder #3. I went ...