1999 Oldsmobile Alero Whistling Noise
I have a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero and it’s making a whistling noise. Sounds like it’s coming from the vacuum pack at the rear end. It will be fine when I first start it but then after about 2 miles of driving it starts making the noise. It will do it no matter if I’m driving or if I’m in park. I don’t know what it is exactly and I was wondering if anyone knows what it could be or if this is a regular problem. Also I drove it the other day and it was fine after about 10 miles, it just seemed to lose power. Let it sit for a little while and it was fine (It didn’t get hot temp was fine) Could this also have something to do with the noise?
Submitted by Cherie
Answer: A whistling noise is usually caused by a vacuum leak. This may cause hard starting, rough or high idle, etc. This would not cause your loss if power problem. That may be caused by a plugged catalytic converter. Sometimes this wil cause a whistling noise since the exhaust is restricted and can not passthrough to the tailpipe easily. The exhaust backs up and can cause this noise. Have the computer scanned for codes, even if the check engine light is not on. There may be codes stored to help in the diagnosis.
2000 Oldsmobile Alero Speedometer Problem
More than likely you left the vehicle speed sensor unplugged on the transmission.
The mechanic says it needs a new cluster but my Dad who is a retired mechanic says if the cluster was bad then none of my gauges would work.
That’s not really true, you can have just one gauge that is faulty on the instrument cluster. But since the problem was after you replaced the engine, it has to be something you did, or forgot, or possibly broke during installation.
I had it done at a shop.
Then it’s something they did. Take it back to them.
2001 Oldsmobile Alero Door Chime
I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero,the door dinger won’t go off when key is pulled out.Replaced the complete ignition switch, still does it. But if the radio is unhooked it goes out, radio works fine and the chime quits when ignition switch is on.
Well the ‘key in ignition’ alarm also goes through the radio and uses the left front speaker to make the ‘ding’ noise. When you unplug the radio, you are killing the circuit to the noise. Did you replace the ignition switch, or the ignition cylinder?
Replaced both of them.
ok that is good to know. Unfortunately, without actually seeing the vehicle, I can only give you options of what it could be. You have a radio that is shorted internally and needs replaced, or possibly a faulty Body Control Module. A bad headlamp switch can cause this as well. You might want to check for any wiring problem under the dash, especially if you have any aftermarket accessories installed such as an alarm or remote start. If you have an aftermarket radio, that would be a problem too. I’d personally lean towards a bad radio, but a good way to check would be to unplug the radio, but jump the ‘key in ignition chime’ wire to bypass the radio and see if it still makes noise.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Saturn Ion Timing Chain- Car Won't Start I replaced the timing chain on my 2005 Saturn Ion why is it still turning over really fast? ProTech: Are you sure the timing was set correctly? Yes, but It's like it don't h...
- 2004 Chevy Venture Accelerates On It's Own I have a 2004 Chevy venture van with a 3.4 that accelerates when it wants to. It happens when cold or hot, just starting or going down the road. I have changed the TPS and IAC and ...
- '92 Ford Taurus won't start when hot I have a ’92 Taurus that won’t even try to start when engine is warmed up. It won’t click or anything when I turn the key – like a dead battery. BUT when I wait an hour or longer u...
- My 2002 Buick Regal Has ABS And Traction Lights I have a 2002 Buick Regal and the service vehicle soon, anti-lock and TRAC lights are all lit up. Will a bad throttle position sensor cause this problem? ProTech: A bad throttl...
- 2006 Chevy Silverado ABS Brakes Vibrating At Slow Speeds Hello I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado 4X4 crew cab, having ABS problems, first once the ABS where coming on when I was braking. Just normal at a stop sign. It felt like air in the sy...
- 1995 Buick Stalled and Won't Start After Replacing Intake Manifold Hi ,I'm new to the world of fuel injection and sensors such as a knock sensor. I have a 1995 Buick Century with a 3.4L Pontiac engine. I used the 3.1L intake manifold system and ha...