1999 Oldsmobile Alero Whistling Noise
I have a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero and it’s making a whistling noise. Sounds like it’s coming from the vacuum pack at the rear end. It will be fine when I first start it but then after about 2 miles of driving it starts making the noise. It will do it no matter if I’m driving or if I’m in park. I don’t know what it is exactly and I was wondering if anyone knows what it could be or if this is a regular problem. Also I drove it the other day and it was fine after about 10 miles, it just seemed to lose power. Let it sit for a little while and it was fine (It didn’t get hot temp was fine) Could this also have something to do with the noise?
Submitted by Cherie
Answer: A whistling noise is usually caused by a vacuum leak. This may cause hard starting, rough or high idle, etc. This would not cause your loss if power problem. That may be caused by a plugged catalytic converter. Sometimes this wil cause a whistling noise since the exhaust is restricted and can not passthrough to the tailpipe easily. The exhaust backs up and can cause this noise. Have the computer scanned for codes, even if the check engine light is not on. There may be codes stored to help in the diagnosis.
2000 Oldsmobile Alero Speedometer Problem
More than likely you left the vehicle speed sensor unplugged on the transmission.
The mechanic says it needs a new cluster but my Dad who is a retired mechanic says if the cluster was bad then none of my gauges would work.
That’s not really true, you can have just one gauge that is faulty on the instrument cluster. But since the problem was after you replaced the engine, it has to be something you did, or forgot, or possibly broke during installation.
I had it done at a shop.
Then it’s something they did. Take it back to them.
2001 Oldsmobile Alero Door Chime
I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero,the door dinger won’t go off when key is pulled out.Replaced the complete ignition switch, still does it. But if the radio is unhooked it goes out, radio works fine and the chime quits when ignition switch is on.
Well the ‘key in ignition’ alarm also goes through the radio and uses the left front speaker to make the ‘ding’ noise. When you unplug the radio, you are killing the circuit to the noise. Did you replace the ignition switch, or the ignition cylinder?
Replaced both of them.
ok that is good to know. Unfortunately, without actually seeing the vehicle, I can only give you options of what it could be. You have a radio that is shorted internally and needs replaced, or possibly a faulty Body Control Module. A bad headlamp switch can cause this as well. You might want to check for any wiring problem under the dash, especially if you have any aftermarket accessories installed such as an alarm or remote start. If you have an aftermarket radio, that would be a problem too. I’d personally lean towards a bad radio, but a good way to check would be to unplug the radio, but jump the ‘key in ignition chime’ wire to bypass the radio and see if it still makes noise.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 2002 Buick Rendezvous Battery Has No Power and Won't Start I have a 2002 Buick Rendezvous. Yesterday it wouldn't start, no power to anything. Charged the battery and it started and ran. This morning it started once but the second time same...
- 2003 Olds Alero Transmission or Catalytic Converter Problem I have a Oldsmobile 2003 Alero with 67000 miles on it. Yesterday the speedometer started going up and down by itself and wont register. Also the car jerks if you go past 30 MPH and...
- 1995 Cadillac Eldorado Rear Air Shocks And ABS Problems I have a 1995 Cadillac Eldorado. Recently I had to change the air shocks in the rear of the vehicle. The rear auto air level shocks which is standard on the vehicle was disable by ...
- Chevrolet Malibu Stalling Problems My 2000 Chevrolet Malibu has been having problems starting and stalling since I got it about a month ago. We replaced the crankshaft sensor (one of them, at least, the one under th...
- Buick Lesabre Blower Motor Only Has High And Low Speeds 2000 Buick Lesabre. My blower has only been working on low and high for a while, nothing in between, and i do not have power to the resistor on any settings except low and high, bu...
- 1993 Buick Lesabre Stalls Then Starts Right Up I have a 1993 Buick Lesabre 3800 engine. It starts and runs great. But after driving 25 to 30 miles it will die, I put it in neutral and it starts right back up and goes an while l...