I have a 2004 Pontiac grand am and my security light stays on how can i turn it off it does not have a reset button.
You cannot just turn it off unless the problem is fixed. The security light is on because you have a problem with your Passlock theft system. There are temporary fixes, like doing a re-learn of the theft deterrent, but the problem will come back. Most likely, you need a new ignition cylinder. Those are what usually go bad on the Grand Prix cars.
I mean it is a Grand Am. well we try to turn on the car and it doesnt make any noises. But the lights and the radio turn on. .and we already put a new starter on it. What does that mean.
So it doesn’t start at all, correct?
The theft deterrent is disabling the starting of the vehicle because you have a problem with it.
Your vehicle has what’s called ‘Passlock’. There is a sensor inside the ignition cylinder that has an electronic password.
And i had read that if it is the ignition then the lights would not turn off.
When you turn the key, the password is sent to the body control module and if it matches, the car will start…if it doesn’t, it won’t start. .I’m betting you need a new ignition cylinder, and your problems will be solved.
So does it just do that all of a sudden?
OK so what do i have to do?
Are you capable to do a job like this yourself?
Yes. How would we know if it is the cylinder?
You need to remove the dash trim to access the ignition cylinder and Passlock housing. Remove the cylinder from the ignition switch and replace with a new cylinder and Passlock housing….after replacement you will need to do a theft re-learn. To know exactly, you’d need a proper scanner to access the body control module and check for theft system codes.
What website can i go to if i need to speak to someone again.
Ok. Thank you. would we be able to do it our self or would we have to take it to a mechanic.
If you’re mechanically inclined, it is a job that you should be able to do.
2007 Pontiac G6
Good eve..i have a question about the Pontiac g6 2.4l 2009..how many liters of engine oil to put the engine?
Just a second and I will get the exact amount for you… The amount of oil you want to put in the engine is 4.8 liters or 5 quarts. That is straight from General Motors.
Thank you very much.
Not a problem, thank you and have a good night!
More Car Repair Questions:
- Chevrolet S-10 Truck Starting Problems Answered 1994 Chevrolet S-10 4.3 tbi. I never get the signal to turn on the fuel pump or fire the injectors but if i poor gas in the intake once the truck starts it runs fine. Any ideas ? I...
- Common Cause For Chevrolet Equinox ABS Light Here's something we as technicians see a whole bunch of....bad hub bearings. Whether they are causing the Antilock Brake (ABS) light to come on, or are just making a terrible grind...
- 1999 Cadillac Escalade Bucks And Hard To Start I HAVE A 1999 Cadillac ESCALADE WITH A 5.7 VORTEC AND IT PULSES OR BUCKS AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS AND IT ALSO DOES NOT START VERY WELL EVER. It cranks too long before it will fire up. Tru...
- Pontiac Grand Prix Knocking Noise- Will Not Crank Over Yes, I have a 2005 Grand Prix and every time it shifts it makes a slight knocking noise. Shifts sorry. That's OK, something like that could be a bad motor or transmission mount....
- 2002 chevy trailblazer stall and oil light When I stop at red light oil pressure gauge drops to zero and then back up and engine tries to stall. Then i take off and its fine, it only happens driving in town,not on interstat...
- GMC Canyon Code P0116 Temperature Sensor And P0102 MAF 2006 GMC Canyon. When you push on the gas to take off it hesitates, while I am driving you can feel the engine hesitating, and when I slow down to stop it hesitates and the RPMs je...