I have a 2004 Pontiac grand am and my security light stays on how can i turn it off it does not have a reset button.
You cannot just turn it off unless the problem is fixed. The security light is on because you have a problem with your Passlock theft system. There are temporary fixes, like doing a re-learn of the theft deterrent, but the problem will come back. Most likely, you need a new ignition cylinder. Those are what usually go bad on the Grand Prix cars.
I mean it is a Grand Am. well we try to turn on the car and it doesnt make any noises. But the lights and the radio turn on. .and we already put a new starter on it. What does that mean.
So it doesn’t start at all, correct?
The theft deterrent is disabling the starting of the vehicle because you have a problem with it.
Your vehicle has what’s called ‘Passlock’. There is a sensor inside the ignition cylinder that has an electronic password.
And i had read that if it is the ignition then the lights would not turn off.
When you turn the key, the password is sent to the body control module and if it matches, the car will start…if it doesn’t, it won’t start. .I’m betting you need a new ignition cylinder, and your problems will be solved.
So does it just do that all of a sudden?
OK so what do i have to do?
Are you capable to do a job like this yourself?
Yes. How would we know if it is the cylinder?
You need to remove the dash trim to access the ignition cylinder and Passlock housing. Remove the cylinder from the ignition switch and replace with a new cylinder and Passlock housing….after replacement you will need to do a theft re-learn. To know exactly, you’d need a proper scanner to access the body control module and check for theft system codes.
What website can i go to if i need to speak to someone again.
Ok. Thank you. would we be able to do it our self or would we have to take it to a mechanic.
If you’re mechanically inclined, it is a job that you should be able to do.
2007 Pontiac G6
Good eve..i have a question about the Pontiac g6 2.4l 2009..how many liters of engine oil to put the engine?
Just a second and I will get the exact amount for you… The amount of oil you want to put in the engine is 4.8 liters or 5 quarts. That is straight from General Motors.
Thank you very much.
Not a problem, thank you and have a good night!
More Car Repair Questions:
- 1998 Lincoln Towncar Trac and ABS Lights On Yes, I have a problem on my 1998 Lincoln Towncar which has the TRAC light and ABS light on and ...
- Ford Taurus Used Car Transmission Failure So my shop took in several Ford Taurus vehicles for our used car stock. I was to inspect and re...
- Fuel Leak Recall On Chevrolet Cobalt And Saturn Ion Lately at the dealership we have seen another rash of problems on the Chevorlet Cobalt and Satu...
- Battery Failure Causes In Cars and Trucks Here's an interesting article on something that just happened to me and my family this past wee...
- 2004 Buick Century Heater and Wipers Stopped Working I have a 2004 Buick Century and all of a sudden the power windows, heater and wiper blade arms ...
- Jeep Cherokee No Fuel Pressure - Clicking In Dash I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 and I'm hearing a clicking/turning noise from the ...
- My 1999 Pontiac Grand Am Won't Start I'm having a problem with the charging system on my 1999 Pontiac Grand Am. New alternator. Fuse...
- 1999 Olds Alero Blower Motor and Security Light I have a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero. The blower motor does not work. I have replaced the blower moto...
- Should I Use Factory Repacement Parts in my Car? A lot of people are under the assumption that parts are parts, and getting the lowest price on ...
- Burning Coolant Smell On 2001 Ford F-150 After Repairs Had a coolant leak, got it fixed by a mechanic almost a week ago . I still get steam, and odor....