1999 Silverado Security Light and Won’t Start
Is the security light on?
Then that is your issue. The theft deterrent system will kill the fuel enable signal so the truck won’t start. Your Silverado does not have a programmable key, but it does have a Passlock system that can be reprogrammed, but more than likely the sensor itself is bad and that would require replacement of the ignition cylinder housing assembly.
Is the dealership my only choice?
To get it done correctly, yes, I would recommend taking it to the dealership. To replace the ignition cylinder housing, the steering column has to be disassembled as well.
Is that expensive?
Somewhere in the 300 to 500 dollar range probably depending on your shops labor rate.
Thanks so much
No problem, have a nice night.
I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500 4×4
I am wondering if another year truck ignition would fit?
Do you mean ignition cylinder, or ignition housing, or key?
The cylinder..someone broke in and smashed it.
Well you will probably end up needing a housing too, if the cylinder got too damaged or cannot be removed from the housing. but yes, the ignition cylinder/housing are all the same on your style Silverado from year 1999 to 2006.
Ok thanks thats all i wanted to know.
You would have to replace the entire assembly, and you would have a different key then that starts the truck, also there would need to be a theft deterrent relearn procedure done as well after replacement.
2003 Chevy Z71
When I crank it it will go dead after running a few seconds, some times it will idle fine but when i apply gas it goes dead, i have drivin it a few times and it will drive fine then when i slow down it goes dead, can anyone help me please!!!
You are going to have to have the fuel pressure checked. You may also have carbon build up in the throttle body bore and plate. If this is the drive-by-wire thottle, the throttle body itself could also be bad. If it is older style cable controlled system, you could have a bad position sensor (TPS). If the check engine light is on, have it scanned for codes first as this may point you in the direction of what system is having a problem.
2002 Chevy Silverado
On my way to work yesterday it began running rough and died as soon as i put it in park. A battery symbol is showing in the message window but all the electronics seem fine. i pulled alternator to get tested but im worried it maybe something else. any suggestions?? It will turn over but die as soon as it starts.
The red battery light came on because the truck died and the key was still on. That is normal and I doubt you have any charging problems. With it starting and dying out, you have a bigger problem going on. There is probably trouble codes set in the computer which will help out with diagnosis. You could be looking at a fuel injector problem, fuel pump problem, ignition issue or more.
More Car Repair Questions:
- Jeep Cherokee No Fuel Pressure - Clicking In Dash I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 and I'm hearing a clicking/turning noise from the dash and in the console where the heat/ac is. I'm not sure exactly where it is coming...
- Chevrolet Malibu Stalling Problems My 2000 Chevrolet Malibu has been having problems starting and stalling since I got it about a month ago. We replaced the crankshaft sensor (one of them, at least, the one under th...
- 2001 Chevy Silverado Brake Pedal Soft And Goes To The Floor I have a soft brake pedal that goes to the floor on my 2001 Chevrolet Silverado. Just changed master cylinder and brake booster and bled through a large bottle of fluid any ideas? ...
- Rear Brakes Noisy But No Money To Fix Car A customer came in with a complaint of his brakes making a grinding sound on his car. He said that it just started. We get that a lot- "It just started". Usually that means the bra...
- Saturn Vue Engine Light - SL2 Problems Hey guys, I'm trying to replace the thermal sensor on my VUE 2009 responsible for the ambient temperature. On the dashboard it's always stuck at 181 degrees. I read somewhere it's ...
- 1996 Chevrolet Suburban P0420 - Brakes Pulsate My 1996 Chevy Suburban has a code Code P0420 code and bad sensors showing on code with large vacuum leak. I've sprayed carb cleaner all over the intake and brake booster house and ...