Where is The Thermostat on Chevrolet Trailblazer
This article comes about by the seemingly mass confusion of where the thermostat is located on 2002 and up Chevrolet Trailblazer, GMC Envoy and similar body styles with the 4.2 liter inline six cylinder engine. I’ve seen many times, in person and online, people claiming the thermostat is on the right (passenger) side of the engine, inside a small housing that looks very similar to the V6 engines. This is NOT the case at all, and people that do not know what they are talking about can be misleading the regular guy trying to fix his vehicle.
On earlier model vehicles, and even the S-series Blazer that was still out when the new body style Trailblazer came out, they had a V6 engine with the thermostat located right in the front, on top of the intake, just about dead center of the engine. When the inline six engine came out in 2002, the thermostat was re-located to the left (drivers) side of the engine, behind and a bit below of the alternator. The housing and hose that is now on the right side of the engine is just an inlet housing for the coolant. There is NO thermostat inside that housing on the Chevy Trailblazer.
As you can see in the provided pictures below, the thermostat is an integral part of the outlet housing, and is NOT serviced separately. You CANNOT just go to the parts store and get a thermostat in a box. This unit needs to be replaced as a whole. The repair can be made through accessing the bolts to the housing through the left front wheel well opening, or if you prefer, the belt, and alternator can be removed, but that is a bit more work.
I really hope this clears up any confusion you may have heard elsewhere. When it comes to a situation like this, you really need the correct information from someone who does this for a living!
Do i need to purge cooling system on 2004 GMC Envoy after draining cooling system?
After refilling the radiator, let the truck run for a while with the cap off. It should bleed out any air easily that way. You may have to top off once the thermostat opens, but probably not that much. Once it’s hot, and circulating, put the radiator cap back on and you’ll be good to go. This also works on the Chevy Trailblazer.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 2002 chevy trailblazer stall and oil light When I stop at red light oil pressure gauge drops to zero and then back up and engine tries to stall. Then i take off and its fine, it only happens driving in town,not on interstat...
- After Replacing Oxygen Sensors And Throttle- Truck Has High Idle I have a 2000 Ford F-150 4.2 ltr v6 2wd. It was throwing codes p0171 and p0174. I changed the upstream o2 sensors and the MAF. Took it back to Autozone to check the codes one more ...
- 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Transmission Or Catalytic Converter I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix. Over the last few weeks i have had trouble with the can being jerky while accelerating also i tends to do this more the warmer the car gets ie: ru...
- 2016 Lexus GS first drive ultimate factory build for the midsize Lexus GS sedan, and the next addition to the ultra-performance F brand from Lexus.
- 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe Engine Knock And Transmission Problem I have a 1997 Chevy Tahoe was running great changed oil, now engine is knocking. Any ideas. When I changed it there was alot more oil in it than should be. ProTech: Too much oil...
- 1995 Cadillac Eldorado Rear Air Shocks And ABS Problems I have a 1995 Cadillac Eldorado. Recently I had to change the air shocks in the rear of the vehicle. The rear auto air level shocks which is standard on the vehicle was disable by ...