Where is The Thermostat on Chevrolet Trailblazer
This article comes about by the seemingly mass confusion of where the thermostat is located on 2002 and up Chevrolet Trailblazer, GMC Envoy and similar body styles with the 4.2 liter inline six cylinder engine. I’ve seen many times, in person and online, people claiming the thermostat is on the right (passenger) side of the engine, inside a small housing that looks very similar to the V6 engines. This is NOT the case at all, and people that do not know what they are talking about can be misleading the regular guy trying to fix his vehicle.
On earlier model vehicles, and even the S-series Blazer that was still out when the new body style Trailblazer came out, they had a V6 engine with the thermostat located right in the front, on top of the intake, just about dead center of the engine. When the inline six engine came out in 2002, the thermostat was re-located to the left (drivers) side of the engine, behind and a bit below of the alternator. The housing and hose that is now on the right side of the engine is just an inlet housing for the coolant. There is NO thermostat inside that housing on the Chevy Trailblazer.
As you can see in the provided pictures below, the thermostat is an integral part of the outlet housing, and is NOT serviced separately. You CANNOT just go to the parts store and get a thermostat in a box. This unit needs to be replaced as a whole. The repair can be made through accessing the bolts to the housing through the left front wheel well opening, or if you prefer, the belt, and alternator can be removed, but that is a bit more work.
I really hope this clears up any confusion you may have heard elsewhere. When it comes to a situation like this, you really need the correct information from someone who does this for a living!
Do i need to purge cooling system on 2004 GMC Envoy after draining cooling system?
After refilling the radiator, let the truck run for a while with the cap off. It should bleed out any air easily that way. You may have to top off once the thermostat opens, but probably not that much. Once it’s hot, and circulating, put the radiator cap back on and you’ll be good to go. This also works on the Chevy Trailblazer.
More Car Repair Questions:
- 1995 Pontiac Bonneville Won't Idle I have a 1995 Pontiac Bonneville that has a 3.8L (3800)v6 engine, It starts rough and wont idle it also wont accelerate or climb hills. I have changed all 3 ignition coils and clea...
- No Heat In My 2000 Chevrolet Malibu - Blower Not Working Hi. My heat stopped working in my 2000 Chevy Malibu. The heat was making a chortling-type sound and then stopped working. Then it came on again a couple times but seems to be done ...
- ABS And Traction Control Lights On Where can i get my cars PCM scanned. What year and model vehicle? 1999 Lincoln towncar. Most of the large national parts store chains will do that for free. oh tanks ,s...
- 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Service Engine Light P1404 The service engine soon light came on and when the diagnostic code registered a P1404 number. What is that? I had the converter changed several months ago because it was plugged. ...
- 2000 Oldsmobile Intrique Won't Crank When I Turn The Key Live Chat My 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue does nothing once I turn the key!? ProTech: Is the battery dead? No new battery, and I have power till I turn the key... A common pr...
- 2015 Nissan Sentra SV review notes: Underwhelming family sedan he Sentra and I didn't get off on the right foot.I was supposed to pick the car up at the airport --