1989 Honda Prelude turns over but wont start

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Had a leak in my gas line for a day or two. Had some issues starting during that time. would turn over for a couple seconds but wouldnt start. then id turn the key back and try again and it would start. Fixed the leak in the gas line and now it wont start unless i pour gas directly into the engine and then it turns off when the gas is used up. it still turns over… could it be the fuel pump?

Anonymous
      Inactive

REPLY:

Yes, it does sound like a bad fuel pump. you would need to test fuel pressure first to be sure. Also, be sure to check all fuses.

Hi I have a 1995 Honda Prelude. Few days ago my rear brake lights would not turn off so I took it in for service at a shop and they replaced the brake lights switch. The next couple days past no problem then a few days later I went out after work to start the cat and nothing happened. We jiggled the wire that connects to the BATTERY and then it started. The next day I had to do the same thing and the car did start. Yesterday I went out and no start. Jiggled the wire this time it did not start. Brought a new battery and new connectors and still nothing. Will not take a jump start and there is no power to even get the windows up. I am having it towed to the garage. Can you please help me diagnosis the problem before they rip me off at the repair shop. I hate going there.

REPLY: Replacing the cable and connector on the cable that you had to wiggle did not fix it, then i would suspect the problem is the other end of the cable. Wiggling it and the repair you did may have moved the other end, causing it to not start. just because you wiggle one end, does not mean you are not moving the other end as well. After the repair, you probably moved that cable a lot, causing the poor connection to get worse on the other end. No power to get the windows up is the key. There is more than one wire goes to the hot lead on the battery on your car. The big heavy one goes to the starter the other one goes to the fuse box to run things like power windows and feed the ignition switch etcetera. Find and connect the wire going to the fuse box and you should be fine. I imagine is will be laying there somewhere near the battery. IF you cannot find it send me several detailed picks of the engine bay near the battery and underhood fuse box and I will try and spot it for you. Maybe when you wiggled the wires you disturbed other wires that are close to that one. Try doing it again.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.