1999 mustang looses power when accelerating

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Marcus Riojas

What would cause my v6 1999 mustang 3.8 liter to lose power when accelerating and shake like it wants to turn off? Note – That i already changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil pack, and throttle body sensor.

Jessica Marlow

I have a 98 mustang 3.8. It has been having a hesitation when accelerating between 1000-2000 rpms. It does fine at an idle but when it pulling it slows completely down and won’t go and then all of a sudden it’s almost like something breaks loose and it takes right off. During it’s episode it does sound like it’s misfiring and hitting on just a few cylinders. We have cleaned everything that we could and also changed vacuum lines. But last night as we started it up there was a ticking sound which sounded like a bad exhaust leak so we stuck a screwdriver to the intake and the sound is coming from the injectors on the passenger side. Any help with the would be greatly appeciated.

lindsay

i asking questions on behalf of my brother he has a 2006 chevy silverado and ‘has been havintg some missing in the engine and he has replaced everything he could think of and he dont know what do plz ,help

josh

What you are describing does sound like an engine misfire. This is usually caused by bad spark plugs, spark plug wires or ignition coils. I would start with a major tune up. Other possible causes- sticking fuel injectors, low fuel pressure or a sticking EGR valve.

All injectors tick, but if it is excessive, then you may have gotten some bad fuel and caused damage to the injectors if you are hearing ticking on just one side of the engine. Are you sure it is not rocker arms ticking? That would be a cam problem, oil pressure problem or rocker arm problem.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Most of the time the cause for the problem you describe IS ignition related, but it seems you took care of all that. The next thing I would look at is low fuel pressure or plugged catalytic converters. A fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail would be needed to check this. Possible causes are a weak fuel pump or plugged fuel filter.

Plugged catalytic converters usually only cause a problem like this when the engine / exhaust are hot, but it can happen all the time.

To test for this, you would actually need a backpressure gauge in one of the oxygen sensor holes. The other way is to disconnect the exhaust pipe before the converter and see if the engine power comes back to normal.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.