1999 Pontiac Bonneville Key Cylinder

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Okay can you please help solve an argument here…I say that you CAN replace the ignition cylinder in a tilt wheel steering column…SOMEONE has made it more than clear that you have to replace the entire column..I say not so…I think the wire inside is broken. HE is certain that it has something to do with the key being cracked. Anyway story is that the security kicks in and will not let the starter turn over…so the ensuing argument has become heated and I would like a solid answer as to whether you can pull the ignition cylinder out and replace everything that way or is his IDEA that the entire steering column has to be replaced the correct answer?

And IF by chance this woman is correct in assuming that you can indeed pull the cylinder out and replace…does it have to be reprogrammed in the car’s computer so it will sync up? And that it has to be done at a dealership…please help.

Oh yeah, before I forget it is a 99 Bonneville. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Henry

You win! The ignition cylinder CAN be replaced separately. More often than not, the wires do break leading to security problems or the vehicle not starting. A new cylinder would come pre-coded so you would get a new ignition key but it would be the same resistor chip as you have now. It does NOT need programmed, just install and go!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.