2011 Chevy Truck gas gauge empty

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      sam

When started all gauges move up then down then to the right level but gas gauge goes to full then empty and stops.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi, I have a 2001 Chevy Venture and I am having an issue with my fuel indicator, after I put gas in my car and drive for a couple of days my fuel indicator will bounce between full and empty, and I will be driving or waiting at a stop light and my low fuel light will come on, one time I ran my car completely out of gas. Yesterday I put a gallon and a half in my car until I could fill it up tomorrow, the low fuel light did not come on until this morning, and then it bounced back to half a tank and then bounced down to low fuel again. What can be causing this problem?

Protech

More than likely you have a bad fuel level sensor inside the fuel tank. It is attached to the fuel pump assembly, and when they start to go bad the fuel gauge will fluctuate and act funny. You would have to drop the gas tank to replace this part. There have been circumstances where the connector bulkhead under the body has become corroded which would mess with the readings, so check that as well. Link for fuel level sender pictures.

Worn out fingers on the fuel level sensor causes the gas gauge to be erratic.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Sounds like you have a pickup truck- Silverado or Sierra. This problem could be one of two things- either the fuel level sensor is bad or the dash gauge is bad. A bad fuel level sensor is very common. the senor corrodes and give incorrect reading. You can read and view pictures about that here… https://www.cartruckinfo.com/mechanic/erratic-fuel-gauge/
      For the dash gauge, depending on the year of your truck, there was a problem with the small motors in the dash that drives each gauge. These go bad and cause the gauge to go either full or empty. Any one of the motors can fail- gas gauge, RPM, speedometer.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.