94 Pontiac transport van shifting problems and check engine light

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

i have a 94 Pontiac transport van

and now when placing in reverse it’s like coasting you can’t give it gas

then I’ll put it in park and try it all again and nothing, but 3rd try it works and drives fine, and now check engine lights on . Please help

thanks all Michelle

Anonymous
      Inactive

1998 Pontiac Transport

3.4 v6

dash lights= yes

Codes= p0753 and p0740 (also an oxygen sensor code)

Took it in to the “best” transmission shop in town and was told two different things; first (the manager) stated that the problem was like electrical (solenoids), second guy stated that it was likely internal and would require an overhaul. Seems like from a dead stop, it wants to take off in second. He asked if the engine “revs then kicks in”. I wouldn’t exactly say that. It’s like it needs to build up speed before you can ease off the accelerator. There is  no real “kick”. However, if I manually shift into 1st then go up through the gears, she works fine.

Van is old and has eaten way too much money as it is. Honestly looking to buy a newer one but need to know how long I can expect to drive this one before it quits altogether.

Single mother of quadruplets here, so excuse any lack of info or confusion on my part.

Protech

P0740 is for the TCC (Torque Converter Clutch solenoid). P0753 is for the 1-2 shift solenoid. They are not really related to each other, except electrically. You may have a problem with the electrical power feed to the transmission. An ignition switch is a common problem for that. But these 2 codes can also be caused by an internal transmission problem. Internal problems can also cause codes related to electrical components. So it would would be real hard to guess which is causing which without having the van in front of me- sorry.

Don’t be sorry! That actually helps since at least now I know what I was told wasn’t just them blowing smoke and it’s actually reliable info.
        We are taking it to someone my stepfather trusts in another town. They will do their own diagnostics and go from there I guess. I want to keep it as a second car, but I just know with the mileage this high it’s never going to be what I consider truly “reliable” again.
        Thanks for the response!

Protech

You have an internal transmission Problem. Either a valve body problem like sticking valves, or another part has failed, like a band or sunshell or overrunning clutch. Going to have to have a trans mechanic look at it. The check engine light may show some codes like “Component Slipping” or a code for a bad solenoid. Need a scan of computer codes first.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.