99 Grand Am Instrument Panel Failure

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Occasionally, the instrument panel and heater fan do not come on after starting the car. They generally come on within 2 to 5 minutes of running, but sometimes it takes nearly 10 minutes. I’ve been told it is likely the ignition switch, but no diagnostics can be done until the problem is constant.

The car otherwise runs very well.

Any suggestions for correcting the problem?

Anonymous
      Inactive

How easily can the airbags be removed? Both driver and passenger sides in the front.

Cindi

Anonymous
        Inactive

REPLY:

The driver’s airbag in the steering wheel can be removed fairly easy. It is only held on by a couple retainers that you access through the back of the steering wheel. There will be two or three small openings and either small screws or pins that have to be pushed aside to release the airbag. The passenger airbag is a bit more difficult. You will need to take the glove box out and remove some partial dash pieces to get to all the retainers holding the airbag in place. PLEASE NOTE: REMOVING AIR BAGS FOR ANY PURPOSE OTHER THAN REPLACEMENT IS NOT RECOMMENDED AND VERY DANGEROUS. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

The both airbags deployed this morning upon bumping the curb. Unfortunately they are no longer usable and we have no money to replace them at this time due to a $1000 deductible. :(

Protech

if they have deployed, you are going to have remove a lot more to take them out. I would NOT recommend doing this yourself. Although also not recommended, I have seen where people just push the airbag material back into the steering wheel and dash and then just tape over them. That might get you by for a while, but again THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED AND YOU PERFORM THESE PROCEDURES AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Guest: Why is it more complicated to remove the airbags after deployment? I’m curious…

Protech: Because you have parts of the dash that are destroyed after a deployment, making removal more difficult. Bolts are harder to get at, debris is in the way, etc…

Protech

I would agree that it is probably the ignition switch. I’ve seen that quite a bit, actually. I would recommend replacing the ignition switch and your problem should be fixed.

I found a suggestion to check all the wiring associated with the battery, the starter and alternator – which I can do; plus wiring to the back of the instrument panel, which I might not be able to do, prior to replacing the ignition switch.

But in any case Pro Tech, thank you for your response.

Protech

It’s always a good idea to check associated wiring in and around the problem area you are experiencing. It may just be a formality, though, as I’m pretty sure you’re experiencing an ignition switch problem.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.