Grand Prix won't turn over- died completely

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix. We recently had some pretty extensive work done on it, and it was running fine. This morning, I tried to start it, and nothing. It wouldn’t turn over, but the fan came on and ran for awhile. Shortly after that, it was totally dead, no lights, no nothing. What happened?

Anonymous
      Inactive

I got the change engine oil light a couple days ago and have barely driven the car since then. Went to drive the car yesterday and seemed good but drove a quarter mile and noticed the temp climbing so turned around and parked it at home. I got the SES light on the way home too.

Checked the coolant tank and it looked low so topped it off and started the car. Started right up and the temp leveled off but I noticed a miss and then she died. I tried to restart without any luck.

Pulled the OBD-II code this morning and it’s a misfire on #6. The oil was changed a little over 5k ago. It looks pretty dark. Would I see coolant in the oil if that was the case?

The car has had zero issues so it was strange to go from great to this so quickly. It was 105 yesterday but the temperature indication never got to the red. I was thinking it might be a camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor but I think there are specific OBD codes for those.

Any thoughts?

Protech

Your coolant being low probably has nothing to do with the misfire condition. The engine will run hotter if it’s misfiring anyway. I’d check the fuel injector, and ignition components. Could be a bad coil, wire or spark plug as well.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have a 2000 gp at times it does not want to start it cranks but not firing then other days its fine it has new battery starter all kind of sensors any suggest

Protech

A couple things to look for. First off, check the fuel pressure regulator for leaks. You can check this by removing the VACUUM tube from the top of it and looking to see if any gas dribbles out. If it does, then you need to replace it. When these have a small leak they will cause extended cranking and hard starting.

Another thing you might want to check is the actual fuel pressure. You would need a pressure gauge to do this. Sometimes if pressure is low, the car will be hard to start. This can be due to a faulty fuel pump, or even a badly clogged fuel filter.

Protech

Need a little more information here to be able to help you. What work was done to the vehicle prior to the problem you’re having now? Did you check to see if it’s just a dead battery?? Try jumping it to see if it will start.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.