Monte Carlo ABS Trac Off Service Traction System

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I went to Autozone and had them pull my ABS codes. I’ve had my ABS/Trac Off lights on for at least 2 years and I am finally tired of looking at them so hopefully someone can help me out with this issue. After some digging, it looks like the codes might start with C rather than B?
      Codes:

B1218

B1222

B1226

B1243

B1245

B1247
      Will these codes clear automatically once the problem is fixed or do I need to have them cleared?

I just recently put on new pads, master cylinder and drivers side hub.

Also, sometime in 2008 I had my passenger side front hub replaced and my ABS Modulator Valve.

This is on a 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo SS.

Thanks for any help!

Anonymous
      Inactive

REPLY:

Yes, the codes start with ‘C’ since they are ‘chassis’ codes. You have quite a few codes, that cover different areas of the ABS system. I’ll go into a bit more detail below, but to answer your other question…No, the codes will not clear once repairs have been made. They will need to be cleared with a scanner and then the car needs to be driven so all tests run and pass. The repairs needed to fix all of your problems will get very expensive. Now, let’s get into all your codes…
      C1218 – Pump Motor Circuit Shorted To Voltage – This can be either a faulty EBCM (ABS computer), or the actual motor/pump assembly that controls the flow of fluid during an ABS event. Sometimes with age and years of corrosion it will be difficult to separate the two units and both will require replacement. This can get upwards of $1000 to fix.
      C1222 – Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit – This can be either a bad hub bearing, or the wiring harness to the speed sensor connection.
      C1226 – Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit Range/Performance – Again, probably a hub or wiring problem.
      C1243 – Pump Motor Circuit – General code, see code C1218 description.
      C1245 – Low Tire Pressure Detected – Set the correct pressure in all four tires, and use the factory radio to reset the Tire Pressure Monitor and that code will clear.
      C1247 – Low Brake Fluid Detected – Since you replaced the master cylinder, this code may be a history code or current if you forgot to plug in the level sensor on the master cylinder reservoir, or the sensor itself is bad.
      Well, there you go. Good Luck in your repairs, it’s gonna take a lot!! LOL

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you for your assistance. I had a feeling that was going to be the answer about the pump but was hoping for something different. I am going to look for a ground out in the wires and try and clean up the grounds in hopes that its just a weak ground.

In case I do need to put in a new pump, is it true I will need a scan tool to cycle the pump to clear the air out of the system or can I just bleed it through to the bleeder screws on each caliper? Will the pump have any form of “bench bleeding” options similar to the master cylinder?

Can the codes be reset by disconnecting the battery, similar to Check Engine codes?

Anonymous
      Inactive

It probably is not a ground problem, but you can check/clean them anyway to be sure.

Yes, you do need a scanner to do an ‘automated’ bleed of the pump assembly if it is replaced. If you try to bleed the conventional way through each caliper, it will take an extended amount of time and you’ll probably go through a gallon of brake fluid, and you may not even get it bled properly. It’s worth it to use a scanner, done in seconds, then a conventional bleeding process can be done.

The codes will NOT clear by disconnecting the battery, you can’t even clear engine codes that way. You will need a scanner to do it right.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.