F-150 Ford have to prime gas to start

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

i have a 1990 f-150 ford 302 2 wheel drive automatic i have to prime it to start it and when it is running black sud running rough but here r the things i have replace fuel regulator fuel filter spark plugs spark plug wires.

If it’s running rough and has black smoke out the exhaust, you’re running too rich due to either a misfire condition, or otherwise too much fuel entering the system. Were the plugs fouled when you changed them? Maybe you have a bad injector, or possibly clogged catalytic converter.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have a 1994 ford f-150 truck 300 6cyl 4.9L fuel injected, twin tanks. Yesterday while driving it just shut off, I thought it might be one of the two fuel pumps, I hot wired them and they are fine, then I thought It might be the fuel relay, bought a new one installed it and truck still won’t start, Because I found the relay has 12 volts going into it but only 6 volts comming out, the pumps need 12 volts to work, do you know whats wrong?

Car Pros

REPLY:

You have a wiring problem in your Ford. Either a corroded connection, or partially broke wires. You need to check what the voltage is out of the relay top determine if the problem is before the relay or after on the way to the pump.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I am a first responder with a VFD in Pontiac Mo. We have a 1987 Econoline 350 van that was originally an Ambulance conversion. The problem that I have is that when warming it up about 2 weeks ago it started fine and quit after approx. 1 minute of running. It quit abruptly, no hesitation like when running out of fuel while driving. There are 2 gas tanks but the rear tank leaked and therefore it has not been used for a few years. I was told that there are 2 fuel pumps for this model one in the tank and another I found on the under carriage. AC Delco (EP 90) is part number on this one. I am trying to avoid having to drop the tank. I wired the part described directly to a 12 volt battery and got no response (no buzz, vibrate, hiss or anything). The vehicle will start as we performed a test using the starter fluid and then a small amount of fuel directly to the carb. Therefore, I determined the problem was fuel delivery. Are there other checks I could make to be sure this is the problem? I also cranked the engine after disconnecting the part above and left the line from the tank open but no fuel was coming from it during that procedure. The VIN is 1FDJS34LOHHB45682. Someone mentioned that this vehicle may have Throttle body fuel injection but I do not have knowledge of such on any fords. Looking for pumps under parts I get several and many different types. Any assistance you can give is appreciated

Protech

The pump in the undercarriage is the transfer pump from the rear tank to the front tank. The main fuel pump is inside the front tank. Unfortunately you will have to drop the fuel tank to replace the pump. I would recommend using factory parts from your local Ford dealer, as aftermarket ones you’ll probably be replacing again and again. It seems you’ve done sufficient checks to determine that the fuel pump is faulty. You may just want to make sure you’re getting power back at the connector for the fuel pump after you drop the tank down.

Jeff

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the fuel system on a Ford 2018 F-150 Cutaway chassis? I need to know the wiring colors to the fuel pump. I want to intercept the hot lead to the fuel pump and wire in a cutoff switch as a theft deterrent. Does this idea sound feasible or is there a possibility of a voltage lose in the circuit if many feet of wire is added to the circuit?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.