2004 Buick Regal is stalling and hard to start

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

It happened suddenly. I drove for 5 minutes. Stopped at store and then the car wouldn’t start. Kept foot on the gas and it finally started but ran slow, rough and jerky, with black smoke out the exhaust. Tow truck driver said the exhaust smelled like rich fuel…flooded. Why, and how to fix? Can it be a sensor?

RE: Your problem could be with the fuel pressure regulator. The bladder inside it ruptures and then excess fuel gets sucked into the intake through the vacuum line. This will cause a hard starting condition and will usually be followed by black smoke out of the tailpipe since it’s running so rich. You can check to see if it’ leaking by removing the vacuum line and see if fuel comes out. This is best done when the engine is hot since that’s when it leaks most. Always be careful of getting fuel on hot engine components.

Tina schoeb

I am having a major issue with my 96 Buick and nobody seems to be able to figure out the problem. I replaced my fuel pump and I am in the process of replacing the radiator fan and motor. What I’m experiencing now is hesitation and acceleration coming from a complete stop. Feels almost as if there is it some type of ignition issue or a fuel issue but it is idling very high as well very erratic If I put the air conditioner on too.

Has never has lost power as of yet and check engine light is not on I’ve had it hooked up to the computer and the mechanic said it’s not throwing any codes he said that he hooked it up directly to the car and drove it and still no codes. What could possibly be wrong with my car it seems to shift into first and second and third OK nothing out of the ordinary. I mean sometimes the engine seem like it’s Reving but other than that I cannot come up with what is going on with this car.

And my fluids are good transmission fluid good color and doesn’t feel gritty doesn’t smell oil’s good doesn’t smell burnt. my temperature gauge has never raised to make me believe the engine is overheating but it’s just Driving very rough.

Anonymous
        Inactive

High idle is usually caused by a vacuum leak. This can also give a hesitation when accelerating from a stop because the engine will be lean for a second because of the vacuum leak. Check that first.

Next most common problem with hesitation is an ignition system problem. Have a major tune up done to your Buick. Replace spark plugs, plug wires, check ignition coils.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.